How to change a tire

Where to place the jack in order to change the tire

There is a picture in the owner’s handbook. What year and model do you have?

Rob,

Mary’s profile (just click on her avatar) says 1953 XK-120. Not clear if OTS, DHC, or FHC

Just in front of the outside corner of the seat cushion there is a removable panel below the carpet. Peal back the rug, lift out insert panel and insert jack. Fully engage.

originally…with the original jack there is a hole and jack fitting under the floorboards…,but with modern floor jack, whether bottle, pump floor, or other…just ahead of rear tire space a bit…and just aft of front tire space you will see where the squarish frame is gusseted, supported with triangular weld metal to cross members. This is where the frame is best supported and may be lifted…WITH a piece of 2x4 ie 2x6 wood to spread out the jack pressure…NEVER jack without wide support…NEVER lift with jack top only., The frame metal is quite thin., (and old-perhaps rusty inside) and weak. and will be seriously damaged. Many say ok to lift under differential…use wood block. Jack stands close to where the jack is on frame…USE wood blocks on the tops. often jack stands are too hi…use all wood from floor up. NEVER a jack top only on the frame !! No matter what jack used…block up.
Nick

1 Like

1953 XK120 OTS
thank you so much for responding

My husband just discovered the panel under the seat mentioned on the forum.

Does the jack lift both front an rear wheels up?

We have an owners manual but not-an owners handbook —suggestions on where buy or downland one?

We are going to a car show ( Lime Rock CT) driving the Jag an hour each way. So thought knowing how to change a flat is a good idea!

1953 XK120 OTS
thank you so much for responding
My husband just discovered the panel under the seat mentioned on the forum.

Does the jack lift both front an rear wheels up?

We have an owners manual but not-an owners handbook —suggestions on where buy or downland one?

We are going to a car show ( Lime Rock CT) driving the Jag an hour each way. So thought knowing how to change a flat is a good idea!

Yes it will lift both tyres off the ground. Do be careful. And you may want to give it a practice run Before you leave!

Ok, I thought it might be an XK8 or XKR, one never knows on this forum.
Here is the page from the Owners Handbook.

It lifts front and rear of one side together.
This book as a reproduction is offered by several parts vendors. I think I got one from XKs Unlimited.
Originals sometimes turn up on ebay.

bottle jack…that will punch a nice hole rite thru the frame…unless used with wood block…maybe with a metal plate between wood and jack
top…so the wood will not split. I warn often here…check tires carefully if suspect they are old…look for DOT date code…if beyond 6-8 yrs drive slowly,…if at all,. 10 yrs 30mph max.,…if at all.
Nick

CANNOT be stated too often: I have known folks who’ve ignored the advice, with disastrous results to bodywork.

disastrous enuf if to car body work…a flapping tread at 60mph can send out of control car and occupants into ditch, trees, across centerline…very disastrous to human body,. Tires destruct at the worst time…because the forces of speed is what makes them come apart. Tires that may hold together at 30…may instantly destruct at 45 or more. The proof is in all the hunks of tread you see on the hi-ways.

1 Like

Well worth it if only to check that the bottle jack will fit under the car, that the spare will come out of it’s storage, that the spare has the right hub, that you’ve got a hammer/wrench to remove the KO/lugs.

Mary, if its get to complicated with the original jack you can always pick up a scissor jack and a modify a construction post saddle to fit the top of the jack.Its fits the chassis perfectly.
I changed a wheel in 15 minutes and you don’t have to rip the inside carpets out and you don’t have to have to keep the door wide open like you have to with the original.

Thanks so much for the photos and advise. It was very helpful.
On another issue the car starts fine when warm but is hard to start when cold.im familiar with the otter switch and cold starting carb which seem to be functioning. Was reading about the anti blow back valve and how some owners have removed it with good results. The problem is I can’t find it. Can anyone describe where it is on a 1953 OTS ? Any photos available.
Thanks
Mary

Do not eliminate it! If the car is hard to start cold, very possibly this valve is stuck closed with old hard or gummy fuel residue. You should take it apart, clean it, and put it back in.

It is there to protect against fuel blowing out through the starting carb in the event of a backfire during starting.

It is located under the intake manifold in the center inside a 4 bolt flange where a large pipe from the starting carb is connected with a large center bolt and a banjo fitting.
anti_blowback_valve

1 Like

Thanks again for the reply and photo. This answers my question. I was looking in the right direction but it was hidden under the carbs. Do you have to remove the carbs to get at it.
Thanks
Mary

No, just that big banjo bolt and it should come out. If it doesn’t, then remove the pipe and the flange.
2~1109694176

PIC_C4204

Back in the olden days I carried a bottle jack, which I successfully used in the garage to lift the car. The surprise came when I had to use it by the side of the road when the car had a flat tire. Under those circumstances the chassis was a lot lower, and the ground was less even, which meant the bottle jack was much too tall to fit under the car.

2 Likes

That’s why I always carried a scissor jack: later on, I got one of those low-profile, lightweight racing jacks.

They are DA BOM!

1 Like