How to deal with old gasoline?

List:
I would like to restart my Jaguar 75 XJ6. I have not stared the car in 4-5 years. If there is gas, should I attempt to start it with that gas or drain it and put in new?

If draining is needed, what’s the safest what do it without making an ash of myself?

If evaporated, I assume I can simply put fresh gas in?

And, with regard to oil. I probably changed the oil four our five years ago but have not driving the vehicle since. Should I change the oil again?

I think I there is a gas station in my area that still sells high octane gas, for a premium.

Thanks
Lou

Dump the gas but save the oil. When you put in fresh gas you really need to flush the lines at the engine point with fresh gas by means of the pump. This will probably mean turning on the key a few times to get the 2 seconds of prime it allows. If you have injectors they might be stuck. The gas tank might have surface rust on the walls so you might be changing a few fuel filters.

I‘d attempt it. If it’s no good after all you can hook a line to the pump outlet and empty the tank that way, and if it’s ghastly you have to pull the smaller sump plug and then open the larger plug slowly to drain the old fuel and some of the water and rust out. Change the gaskets. Then fill up and mix in the old stuff bit by bit or dispose of it properly if it is really, really bad which I don’t think.
Fill up with the cheapest E10 garbage if you mix in the old fuel or decide to keep what’s in there. 5 years can be nothing or a long time.

If you drain it, outside, large drain pan and a spare, fire extinguisher in the flight path and short sleeves.

75 XJ6 do not have injectors or a 2s timer. It will eventually like a new fuel filter.

Art: Thank you for the suggestions.

What is the best way to get the gas out of the car? I don’t recall if there is a way to access the gas tank to pump the old gas out. Maybe put a flexible thin hose into the gas intake?

Has anyone had success getting gas out the gas tank of any XJ6?

Alternately, what is the likelihood that the engine will run on fiver year old gasoline?

Thanks

Lou

86.5%.

Lou, you have a large hole below each tank, those are the drains!

You need to drain the water out every decade or so. If you wanted to you could drain a full tank in less than a minute. Putting a hose in is difficult, there’s a baffle in the way.

Lou, Almost everything I have read on the longevity of gasoline says to use gas in 3 or so months from the date of purchase. This obviously assumes the station you buy the fuel from is routinely getting a fresh supply. After the 3 month or so period, the gas begins to degrade. The volatile chemicals begin to evaporate out, and moisture has a chance to impact the fuel. There are other variables also involved. How full or empty is the tank. Was a gas stabilizer used ?

Having the above in mind, your fuel is 5 years old. Why would you want to risk running it thru your engine ? SD Faircloth

Then again people start their cars after a winter or even after several years and there’s no problem. It can go bad faster, sure, but that depends on storage. What do you lose trying to start an engine on old fuel? The worst stuff will be in the float bowls either way.

Lou:

Thank you David.

I assume the “hole” you spoke of is a threaded valve that I can unscrew to allowing the water flow out (my car is at a remote location so I am unable to look at it at the moment.)

Do you have any opinion on using gasoline that is five years old?

I will be going to the remote garage later today so I will be able to look at these items myself when I get there.

Regards
Lou

Yes Lou, my opinion is that you should give it a try. It will run, question is if it will run
You should drain both tanks a little if you have never done it.

Than you David:

As you suggested, I will giver it a try.

I don’t want to make a bid deal of this. But at the same time, I don’t want to make an ash of myself.

Regards
Lou

Lou,

of course, SD is right - if you want to be on the safe side drain and refill the tanks.

And yet, in your situation I’d side with David though: no injectors to get stuck and two float chambers to check out on your car plus the chance that five years ago they didn’t sell you E10;-)

Maybe, as a very simple means of precaution, make a smell test (really old gas smells like varnish). If you did your homework and parked the car with tanks full five years ago there should be no rust issue. As soon as the tanks get empty take the chance to put in additional fuel filters before the fuel pumps.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

If there is no gas, or very low, Lou - just fill’er up; new gas will mix with the old. And if draining the old gas, it can be gradually added as you go for easy disposal…

However, emptying the carb bowls, and putting in fresh gas there, may be safer/easier than tank draining - while old gas may interfere with starting, the engine will run OK with old gas once started…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

2 Likes