How to determine a value of an XJS

So I am considering selling my 85 XJS HE 71,000 miles and in the St Louis metro area…

What I’m struggling with is how to determine an appropriate market value.

It seems in my area…XJS prices are all over the place. Some very cheap that obviously need major work, some that appear nice but may be hiding significant delayed maintenance, cars like mine… clean nice and serviced, and then the concourse 100 point cars

Obviously a buyer should do a market search of comparable cars…but that’s were I seem to be up against the low quality cars…with unknown service history.

Any thoughts on how to best value and market a car?

Cheers

Gary

It’s a weird market in the USA, only people like us on Jag Lovers really appreciate them, and we won’t overpay. Most collectors don’t want them. And the few people who really want one but can’t do the work want a perfectly running version, which dont really exist anymore.
Only way i see myself recouping anything on mine is when these cars are collectible, which IMO will be 10-20 years.

I hear they are very collectible in the UK.

Good luck!

I’ve had my eye on a '94 4.0 coupe (same as Superblue) that has been on sale on Ebay for some time now. :drooling_face: The body looks very nice (red) compared to Superblue’s, but she has like 130K miles on her, compared to Superblue’s barely 100K. The dealership had her listed at $9.9K, and I was stunned to see the auction end with nobody snapping her up at that price (despite not being a convertible). :open_mouth: The dealer has gone ahead and relisted her, but at the same price as before (go figure) … Will be interesting to see whether the 2nd time is the charm, or whether our '94 4.0 coupes are just not worth that kind of $$ (anymore?). If not, then I wonder if he will relist her a 3rd time, and a lower price then. :thinking:

I guess from what Greg just said and after reading you’re posts it looks like a very nice car but unfortunately it doesn’t always translate into a monetary value. It’s like asking how long is a ball of string?
All else and bets aside you can always go to the Hagerty website (no affiliation except customer) and try using their valuation tool.

1 Like

Your car is an '85 with a V12 badge and alloy Kent wheels?

1 Like

In my former profession determining ACV was an almost daily task. Go shopping and developa list of comparable cars. Toss the high and the low. Average the remainder.

As an independent I was hired as an appraiser. One, the most interesting was an elderly Cadillac. The spread was wide. Junk to pristine.
I applied the same method. I got to testify in court on that one. It seems the jury averaged my value and that of the opposing appraiser!!!

Kirby,

Yep…85…never changed badge…when I bought the car it had Dayton wires. I did not like the look of the wires and with the tires fitted had a bit of rub on tight turns.
I was never really a fan of the Starfish alloys either…but I found a set of 5 Kent’s, so I refurbished and installed. Not “original” but since I was not worried about chasing points I thought acceptable.

2 Likes

From what I’ve observed, these move verrrry slowly in the sale market, especially if they are mechanically or cosmetically lacking.

As others stated, it really is a car with a narrow audience which influences the prices quite a bit.

I suspect somebody changed the badge. Pretty sure the '85 came with an “H.E.” badge in that location.

I agree, my 85 came that way.

I have no idea…but another 85 in my area has the identical badging. And an 86 has the same V12 badge.

Maybe a local dealer made the change on the lot? I also have a dealer installed Skytop sunroof.

Cheers

I have seen them badged like that often…

1 Like

There’s a Make An Offer button on that auction.

You can also call the Seller.

I would be surprised if the Seller lowered the posted asking price.

I’d look at it from a different perspective . How much would you pay for it if you wanted it? Or what’s the least you would accept? Or add together the price you paid when you bought it and the money you’ve spent on it. If you’re in no hurry you can afford to be bullish and wait but if you need a quick sale you may have to take a hit. Not very helpful advice I know, but it’s very personal and only you know if you can live with the outcome.

Frankie

1 Like

Wow I don’t think he had M.A.O. on the original auction. :confused: Will really be interesting now to see what he ends up taking for it. :thinking:

Reminds me of the legal definition of “F.M.V.” of used property here in TX, which goes kinda like this: “what would a willing seller who is under no compulsion to sell and a willing buyer who is under no compulsion to buy agree to pay for the _____?” :notebook_with_decorative_cover:

I paid $1400 for a running driving rust free 95’ XJS 4.0 convertible last week here in Florida. It’s undergoing a bit of bastardization lol but only because I got it for so cheap. If I were to look on eBay for some reason I see people selling them for north of $10k

1 Like

Similar here as condensed. Willing seller to willing buyer = ACV!!!

I am impressed. What a deal…

1 Like

Well, my 1992 was had for $500, or was I had? Runs like a top, needs brakes and some paintwork. It is in ‘arrest me red’ with beige (bisquit) interior. What was I thinking?

1 Like