How to determine a value of an XJS

Interesting. Thanks for the clarification, Mike. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi,

I know I’m pucky but I’d want it with a factory original three pedal 5-speed manual. :slight_smile:

They are not that rare in Europe.

Cheers!

No worries mate,

to elaborate, when you take your car for an MOT anything that needs attention but wont fail the test will be logged as an advisory, so even though the car may pass you don’t want any advisories logged against it. Buyers now search the mot history and will start to question cars with lots of advisories…

Cars over 40 years old are still put through the MOT test at the owners discretion, proving to any future buyer a fastidious custodianship.

All cars, irrespective of age can still be driven as long as they are road legal. check out Bonhams London to Brighton Veteran Car Run, 2017 highlights - YouTube

Was all over this 1935 Alfa Romeo P3 Tipo B - 3.2-Litre Straight-eight Supercharged Engine - Goodwood FOS 2019 - YouTube on friday at Goodwood… totally original and patinated and road legal.

I think the thing is being able in distinguishing when an old car turns in to a classic . The XJ-S has turned into a classic this side of the pond, in the US still mostly seen as an old car by the majority.

1 Like

Ah, the sound of that straight eight…sublime!

I was surprised at how light and agile a 4.0 litre 5 speed XJS was… these manual cars are ramping up price wise too…

1 Like

An obvious reason the XJS fetches a premium in the UK…national pride. That’s why Americans prefer classic American cars.

I’ll bet 9 out of 10 Americans would prefer a 60’s Corvette over a 60’s E-type. Probably the reverse in the UK.

Probably an astute point: be interesting to conduct a survey.

This American would take the etype every time. Unless the Corvette had a modern chassis under it. Then I’d have to think on it. In 1984 we drove the eType from Phoenix to Bend Oregon to take part in “Western States '84” which was one of the biggest shows on the west coast at the time. I spent two days looking at Jags from all over the country. That’s when I decided I needed an XJS someday. On the 3rd day we had to “clear the lawn” for a big Corvette show. I spent a day looking at Corvettes from all over the country. I came away thinking "eww. Every engine is painted orange or red and has one ugly carburetor. "
Now to each their own, if you like cars, any cars, you’re O.K. in my book. For me, if I get one choice for something from the 60’s, its the Jag.

1 Like

Hi,

Also true for me from the 70’s, the E-type (V12).

Ok, I would also take a Daytona Spider, in a heartbeat, but probably not in this life, they only made about 100 of them, thank God the E-type was so popular they made thousands of them and we get to enjoy them as well.

Probably less than 10 XJS’s sold new in here, so it’s definitely a classic over here as well. Heck, I was once allowed to park in the “classic car” area in an event with our ex-XJ8, I didn’t start to argue that at the time our car (MY1998) was not even ten years old! :laughing:

Jags are not that common over here, but more common of course than Astons, Ferraris, Lambos or Maseratis.

Cheers! :beers:

1 Like

I’m not American, but I would like a 1967 Stingray with a 427 in Marina blue !
I do remember seeing this XJ-S a while back with seemed reasonable

The James Love look !!!

1 Like

No Vette’s with two four barrels. Some of the 55-57 Tbirds came with 312 CI engine and twin four barrels. With alloy valve covers they not only ran great , but looked the part.

One of those powered my son’s first car. A 40 Ford coupe. It was fast. Still has it in a mode of slow restoration…

…which made them completely over-carbureted! But, as a marketing device, it was brilliant.

I see at least 1-2 ads a month with ridiculous (my opinion) asking prices… I always wonder what happens to these cars…https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/d/phoenix-1988-jaguar-xjsc-he-v12/7350458515.html

I think they go unsold.

Um well yeah LOL. My wondering is probably better suited for pontification over a beer than an internet forum… I guess there are only 3 possibilities: 1) Sells for close to asking price 2) Sells for considerably less 3) Does not sell. I just hope that whatever the outcome it goes to a good home :slight_smile:
It looks like a nice example.

I think # 2 and #3 ate the likely candidates.

What some seem to think is, ‘dollars in’ is always additive to ‘dollars sold for.’

I think many get rude surprises.

Its a rhetorical question, but what exactly does 15k buy you? Although functional there will be plenty to be renewed. Will that car provide trouble free miles from coast to coast round trip? I don’t think so. Low mileage has no saving grace, more likely a detriment.

As stated earlier, in my view the really good XJS examples are rarely for sale on the open market. Why is Gary Crosby wanting to sell his car has not been stated, but if his car is in the condition that some have eluded to then amounts of 20k+ would not be a dream IMO. What becomes hard at that point is finding the right buyer.

AttyDallas

$16K+ for an X-300? Were they of “sound mind” ? :open_mouth: Around here (Dallas) it would bring closer to the $4K figure

The car was sold to a cardio surgeon which was of course NOT “limited” intellectually nor in his finances! I would say he had a “sound mind” with those assets! He said he did NOT want a car he had to constantly repair or fix rust holes. He is a Rolls Royce/Bentley/Jaguar collector;therefore, he was not interested in “junk”! Yes, you can get Jaguars (RR/Bentley) in any price range. Most of the time you get about what you pay!

Wonder where he got that l.p. Is that what AZ license plates look like these days??? :open_mouth:

1 Like