How to do FHC rear board corners?

Hi all

I’m redoing the interior, covering the luggage boards now. I copied the way the factory folded the corners, and I’m concerned the result leaves them with a way too thick bulge. I know our new vinyl is thicker. So how have other people done it? Live with the protrusion? I’m concerned about the esthetic, but also think they’d be vulnerable. They may also stack up against each other and cause interference?
What have people done?

I did mine a couple of years ago, and they do create a tighter fit, but the board still goes in and out - goes in easier natch. So far no issues - you can’t see the bulge once in.I can send some photos if you like.

I’ve been playing around with getting the backing off vinyl. I just used some Pro Form General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner Solvant (Pro Form’s spelling) PF600 for that purpose. This is a benign solvent with an oily texture that works slowly but very effectively. After soaking the back of the vinyl for 30 minutes, keeping it wet, the backing pulled off, and the vinyl would stretch, becoming thinner as it did. Probably too late for you.

Another thing different on early cars it seems. Our '64 3.8 FHC has snaps to fasten these things down. The edge is beaded. Looks like when they changed it they kind of went backwards, as ours fit fine with the snap design.

Hi Terry
Yes some photos would be great! I don’t want to overthink this, but I’m in new territory here, and a bit outside my comfort zone. The thought of getting all the boards done, only to discover they wouldn’t fit, would be a disaster.

Thank you!

Except the early cars didn’t have any luggage rails, which I think is a definite improvement worth having. It looks better and protects the floor.

Here’s my corner and you can see how it projects out and creates a wear point. As well as possible interference.

Bob I could send pix but your corners are way better than mine. Good work.

I cut mine at a 45 degree . first cut a small piece of vinyl and practised my corners instead of destroying the large piece

1 Like

here is a compact and neat way of doing corners

Not sure I understand how that was done…

That was 5 years ago. Can’t quite remember.
But if you take a small section of vinyl and practise . you can figure out a neat and clean way.
The factory did it for quickness I’m sure