How to Find an Early XJ6

For the past year, I have been looking for a “new” 1971 XJ6. I limit it to that year because I have two parts cars, one dismantled, one still together, that I will use for parts. And it seems that a number of changes were made between late 1970 and early 1972 and therefore, it would be wise to stay in the area.

Each week I check Craig’s list in California, USA, eBay (not a very good source) , Jaguar Clubs of North Americal, Hemmings, classic cars.co.uk, and joguarcassifieds.org.uk. I would prefer a left hand drive if possible.

I admit I am picky, no regency red (been there, done that) matching numbers, no Chevy engine, unmolest.

Can anyone suggest other places to look, or is this simply the way it must be done.

You may recall that some time ago, I said that it appeared there were more early XJ6 cars in Europe than the USA and the list responded that many more cars were imported to the USA than anywhere else and therefore more cars should be available in the USA. I just don’t find that to be the case. But again that may be because I am particular.

It occurred to me recently that Jaguars of that era were also assembled in South Africa. Is there a used Jag market there? And if so, does anyone have a suggestion where to look?

Regards
Lou

Lou:

Not anymore. I think the supply is drying up in CA. it doesn’t take much to discourage a fix. The $ thing. Shop rates hover around
100.00 per hour!!! So, DIY is the only retartent!!!

But, as you have parts cars, don’t rule out the Chev. powered cars. They might be in the best condition.

Unswap if you choose. or, just possibly, you might like it!!!

I am a firm believer in “to each his own”. Whatever option, that may be.

Carl

I personally preferred the 1972 because the YORK A/C compressor was replaced with the better Harrison A6. The intake system was the same up to 1972. The 1973 XJ6 had a overly complicated intake system to comply with emission regulations.

I had a 1972 XJ6 for a decade and sold it to move up to newer models.

Just my opinion.

bob

Carl:

Thanks Carl. If you thing about it, someone who was learning the trade when these cars were made is probably now 60-70 years old,

Will just keep looking.

Regards
Lou

Lou you are about 5 years too late looking for a decent, low priced, running XJ6. Your best hope is more of what you are already doing. Most Jaguars were sold in California and because we do not salt the roads for the most part they did not rust away. I see early XJ6 ads on Craigs every now and again so they still do exist ( but not for long). Carls suggestion that you buy a lump and unconvert it seems your best hope. Unless your metalworking and fab skills are really good that will be the cheapest way to go. Keep looking, good luck Pete

I just purchased a 1971 xj6 found it on Craigslist in San Francisco, had been sitting in blokes garage for 22 years. Then engine came in quite a few boxes has in nuts, bolts brackets Pistons valves so on. Thou it came with lots of new parts also in boxes and a brand new engine block. I have managed to put it all back together again. With parts manuals and pictures it was pretty easy being mechanically inclined. So they are out there. I paid 2000 US dollars for it the chrome is in perfect condition. And so is the body. Interior is decent being an old motor. I think getting something in ok condition and the engine probably needs going through anyway. I looked up a decent running 1972 series one swb they seem to be going around 8ooo to 12000. So I would just keep looking.

Best of luck. 1971 was a good model year; still relatively simple in terms of emissions, but developed enough that the initial mistakes were fixed.

Lou

please delete this post

I use SearchTempest. It scans all craigslist sites by region. You still have to click into each, but it seems to work pretty well.

Here’s one that current: 1970 xj6