How to get info on orignal build sheet

just purchased a 51 xk 120,a major barn find. im over the moon with excitement.It is a cadaver car without engine,. This car will rise again, how do i find out what it was leaving coventry

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum. Send a email to the Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust with relevant numbers from the car and I’m sure they’ll be able to help you out. :grinning:

Oh great ,obvious first step to find out color etc ,wether it had tonneau or more.i have original info of i.d plate and luckily a replacement engine etc .heritage can also help with that.thanks

Welcome to the best forum for 120 to 150 Jags anywhere on the Jag-Lovers website, Doug.

I found a 40 year 53 120 OTS sleeper a few months ago myself. Buy lots of de-greaser. I find Brush Cleaner in the blue can works great and it’s relatively cheap.

We like pictures. No pictures, didn’t happen.

1 Like

(Attachment No Subject(1).zip is missing)

Go here:

https://www.jaguarheritage.com/archive-services/certificates/

JDHT are not very helpful these days. A friend of mine is their
collections manager now, but all they will do is confirm what you tell them you already know. They won’t give you much new information these days because of fraud issues.

Thanks just sent them all my info so im eager for the response.I tried to post photos but was un able to do so. doug

The photo did make it to the forum. Ended up with two volvos in the bundle as well. 61 and 65 544,s … but thats a different forum doug

again still searching for any kind of real document and the vin number so any jaguar factory inquiry will be tough to complete.Also havent even retrieved car from barn, its blocked in by the volvos and two command and carryall military vehicles. Doug

If you can’t give them a chassis number, I doubt they’ll tell you anything. They are very cagey about ringers these days.

is that diff from car number? again its difficult to get close to under side because it just packed AMONG OTHER VEHICLES.ARGH.

One of my favorite Volvos!

If you posted chassis number. engine number or body number here I am sure that we car supply all relevant details ie dates colours where to etc.
or email me at tmcgrath@bigpond.com
regards terry

It looks to be LHD and therefore the chassis number is pre 672926 its not an alloy so post 670184 narrowed it down to one of 2742 cars! :grinning:

The VIN is stamped into the left side of the frame opposite the brake master. This is a pic of mine, obviously a later car.

1 Like

Interesting. My chassis number is stamped directly into the top of the bracket that the master cylinder bolts to.

672027 from early April, 1952

Welcome, Doug.
From the one picture, we can see that it is a LHD steel body OTS car with separate chrome side lights, which means that the chassis number (=car number = VIN) will be in the range from 670185 to 672926, and may or may not have a prefix letter S. It will usually be stamped on the LHD brake master cylinder bracket.
chassis ID 007a
This is the identity of the car. Hopefully there will also be an identity plate riveted to the firewall (UK = scuttle) on the right hand side which gives the original engine, gearbox and body serial numbers. There is usually a body number tag on the left hand side of the scuttle.

There is no build sheet as such. There is a build record book held by JDHT. They will print you a heritage certificate for a fee.
JDHT will not give you a certificate until you can produce evidence of ownership such as a title. You provide all the serial numbers you can. They will only confirm your serial numbers and give you the original color scheme and build date, not give you missing numbers. They will give you the name of the distributing dealer, and sometimes the name of the local dealer and first owner if they have the record of it, but they do not usually have those records in the case of USA deliveries.

For an engine, this forum is the best place to start. We know all the details. First figure out whether you want to get it close to original spec, or more powerful later spec, or just happy with anything that runs.

Seems yours is stamped in the usual place, Mike, though there aren’t a whole lot of pictures of chassis numbers in XKDATA to verify, I suppose because they’re in an awkward place. I browsed through the entries of a couple of hundred late cars like mine and the only pics I came across clearly depicting location are in the same place as is mine, ahead of the MC mount.

Seems sometimes like the greater consistency in XK120 attributes is inconsistency.

There may also be a chassis number stamped on the cross member in front of the radiator.

On mine it was covered in paint and so faintly stamped anyway that I could not read it if I didn’t already know what it was.

I used to stamp numbers on things like big magnet stands at my lab, and I found that with steel you have to hit pretty hard with a big hammer, and choose a strong place that will not deflect as you strike. The brake bracket is a pretty stiff and strong place, but the chassis frame next to the bracket and the cross member is less so, and deflected a bit when the factory guy stamped there, which is why the numbers are not so clear.