How to Put a C.D. Player in a '94 Coupe?

One of the few things I don’t like about my '94 vs. my old '95 coupe is that the former came w/o a C.D. player. I really didn’t miss it since I used my cassette player instead. But now that the drive belt is broken (common on the XJS - :rage:) I’m thinking it may be easier to add a c.d. unit than jerk out and r/r the whole head unit b/c of the cassette situation.

It 's my understanding that the c.d. player was an option on the '94 models, and i indeed see markings on buttons for it on the head unit. I’m therefore thinking the car is “pre-wired” for such a unit and one just needs to be plugged in to be good to go. :pensive:

Other than the actual c.d. player itself, what other related parts do I need to buy to get things rolling?

https://www.ebay.com/i/301247312067?chn=ps&ul_ref=https%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F711-117182-37290-0%2F2%3Fmpre%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.com%252Fi%252F301247312067%253Fchn%253Dps%26itemid%3D301247312067%26targetid%3D411511151646%26device%3Dm%26adtype%3Dpla%26googleloc%3D9008168%26poi%3D%26campaignid%3D1057489367%26adgroupid%3D54502292840%26rlsatarget%3Dpla-411511151646%26abcId%3D1133856%26merchantid%3D6544654%26gclid%3DEAIaIQobChMIveqeoLSU2wIVEx2BCh1rxw-ZEAQYAyABEgK8Q_D_BwE%26srcrot%3D711-117182-37290-0%26rvr_id%3D1537123926453%26rvr_ts%3D7dc3bf4a1630a8601951e6eaffe9fe28

Some butt splices

Some searches in this forum

If you have the CD buttons on the head unit then I would suggest your car is indeed pre-wired for the trunk mounted CD changer.
Pull back the edges of the trunk carpeting and look for a cable with a DIN style plug tucked away. That’s the connector for the CD changer.

If you hook up a factory type changer you shouldn’t need to modify anything at the head unit or anywhere else - AFAIK the changers are plug and play.

You might have to pick up or make some mounting brackets along with the changer though.

Thanks, Aber. Yes, I notice the little “shelf” on Superblue looks considerably different than on Supercat (which had the factory player). I’ll need to find a piece of boot trim for a car that had the c.d. player, as well as any bracket that is behind it. :persevere:

Honestly, depending on what format your music is in, and where you live, I would consider a Bluetooth FM adapter before fitting a cd changer. They are widely available and relatively cheap ($15), easy to use with your phone, and likely much cheaper then trying to place a cd changer. Just plug it in the cigarette lighter and go. It doesn’t alter the car either. Very few people use them these days, so finding an open station is a lot easier then it used to be with these as long as your not living in a really large urban area. Quality is less then a CD but it’s fine. Used one for a while on our Subaru Outback when the aux port went out before we sold it. Worked great.

when I purchased my car in the mid 90’s I noticed that it, as yours was prewired. I think I bought a 6 disk unit from was identical to the Jag model - can’t remember the brand but if you need it I can go out to the trunk and find the model number.

David Bogaty
94’ 4L

My 6 disc changer does not work David. I’d like the part number or maker of the changer you purchased.

Thanks, Gordon

Yes, please do. So are you saying that the unit you bought was not out of an actual XJS? If not, I’m wondering if that’s what is required to prevent a “communication problem” with the original XJS head unit. :pensive:

I think I’ve attached images if they don’t show up let me know and I’ll try again. The Alpine is a direct fit replacement. No mods to the wiring it’s a plug and play.

1 Like

It shows, but kinda blurry. Can you post the actual model # of the Alpine unit please? I noticed you pretty much just keep yours perched on top of the original shelving. Were you ever able to find what is needed to actually make it look like the factory original set up? I’m thinking there has to be a bracket assembly of some kind that holds it in place (unless it is behind the carpeted shelving piece already?) + the carpeted shelving piece that has the opening in the front of it to hold/access the unit. :pensive:

btw, I have been keeping a watch on Ebay to see if any units or the associated parts come up for sale, as there used to be some from time to time out of salvaged vehicles. However, none at present. :frowning_face:

I believe it is a CHM-S620. The bracket was in my car and I just bolted it up - it was a typical ‘C’ type bracket. I would expect someone like Coventry West may have one or know where you can get it. I looked online and I think ebay has a few of these for sale and they may come with a bracket - wouldn’t hurt to ask the sellers.

So, do you mean that when you removed that carpeted piece/shelf the bracket was already there behind it? Or do you mean the PO had installed one but never got around to installing the changer?

it’s been a number of years (24) and I can’t say for sure - I think it may have come with the player. I’m back in town and will wonder out and see is anything jogs the memory. The only thing I do remember is - it surprised me that it worked out as easy as it did.

whet out and looked again, and thought about what happened. As I now believe the cable was in the car behind the carpet. I went on line to the forum and the Alpine changer is what was recommended. The angle brackets (not a C bracket) came with the changer and it was a direct bolt-

IMG_1541up. I’m sending a couple more pictures.

I have some of those 1994 CD player mounting brackets I never used.

Equip, as soon as i can find a changer online (i.e. Ebay) and get it I may ask you about the brackets, if you still have them then. Thanks. :smile:

You can use an Alpine CHM-S620 or a CHM-S630 in your 94. Both are plug and play.