How to raise the rear left of the 150 chassis frame

Viewing tge car from the rear, about 10m away, it is clear that the left is sagging.
I measured the height of the chassis, on level ground, the correct way and found the front to be even, with correct height, but the rear left to be 1cm/0.4” lower than the right side. (The space between tyre and wheel arch confims this (I put my hand, with all fingers stretched out, into the opening. Not scientific but good enough)).

How do I fix this??

And I now see that when measuring wheel arch heights, the right side is an inch higher than the left.
Time to play with shims on the chassis/frame!???!!

Check the torsion bars
Pat H

Rear springs, the left could have a bad leaf, or the right could have rust and the leaves not sliding on each other as they should.
Springs can be re-arched. The specification is in the Service Manual.
I did mine by placing the long leaf on two wood blocks, then standing on it until it was the right curve, then bending the other leaves to match the curve of the long leaf.

You mean that by lowering the front right, I will raise the rear left…!!!

Peder what measurements do you have, I have 27.25 inches at rear and 28.75 inches on the front my 150 ots
You could have a weak spring on the left, maybe a broken leaf, can you see any rust where a break is hiding,I am assuming you have a fully inflated tire on the left !!

Update: I have just measued the chassis height and the body/wheel arch height on an extremely level surface. The chassis is level enough right vs left (17,6cm 17,9cm at front and 19,6 20,5cm at the rear).
The body, as measured at the top of the wheel arches, above the spinners, is 71,9cm 72,4cm at front and 61 and 73 cm at the rear. As the cars are handbuilt, and later restored, I accept some difference.
Looking from behind, about 10m, everything looks straight, except the rear bumper which I need to adjust.
I have more XKs, where 2 of them that I just messured, being about 2 cm lowercat the front chassis height, and a bit lower at the rear, than this car

(Forgot the picture)

If it looks fine, leave it alone. If you start messing with the body/chassis spacer shims you will end up in all sorts of trouble - doors not fitting etc. This is not an exact science, these are not modern production cars.

1 Like

one typical problem is one of the rear chassis legs over back axle is bent up or down

Yes , four equal blocks placed at the front and rear of the chassis (near the front of the rear springs) and then check the rear chassis extensions, carried out , of course, on a level surface.
If measurements check ok then reverse fit the rear springs, a bit of work I know !
If the attitude of the XK remains then torsion bar adjustment.

Great info. Not among the top 3 items on the ToDo list though.
Why do the rear chassis legs bend up or down? Too weak, construction wise, or a relsult of an accident, or…?
(Perhaps poor quality control at the factory)

no they are a little weaker than maybe they should be and if for example driven of large kerb or similiar. or maybe just general use but many cars we have restored they have been bent.

If you strap a XK chassis to a jig the average man ( or strong female, let’s be pol correct here) can flex the rear of a chassis say 1” in total, this with a chassis in good condition.