How to remove Series II OTS ash tray?

I replated the inner part of the ashtray on the tranny tunnel but don’t see how to remove the outer black part to repaint it. It seems to be welded to a metal plate. What is the secret to getting it out?

If it is like the series 1.5 then the center console needs to be disassembled to get it out. Not a simple operation…

1 Like

As Doug says you have to remove the entire center console and then remove the center panel from the console that houses the ashtray. To remove the center console you need to remove the radio console, seats and seat belt anchors.

Andy S2 FHC

Troy;
If I understand your question correctlyYou have plated the Bottom (part that holds the ashes) of the ash tray and nw you want to do some finishing of the black (or lid) of the ash tray. Is that correct? if so, the lid (Black part) does not come off as I think it is spot welded to the hinge. If you are intent on trying this grind one or both ends and take a small pin punch and hammer it out. You may have to pry the whole thing out of the center console. Good luck.

Regards, Joel

I want to paint the lid and sides. Too much work to take it out based on comments. So I’ll mask around it and paint it with a brush. Semi gloss black I suppose. Or maybe it is gloss black and the textured surface makes it appear duller?

I think it’s black wrinkle paint.

1 Like

What Geo ^^^ said. Black wrinkle paint.

Too much work?! Think of it as a journey into the unknown. You’ll find a treasure trove of history when you dig into the nether regions of your E-Type. Wierd foreign coins, long lost notes, odd fasteners and maybe a small tool or two.

Quit smoking and leave it closed :thinking:
My 2 cents

1 Like

Dumb reply. This is a restoration issue.

It’s not that difficult to pull the console and do it right. And it gives you the opportunity to neaten up other stuff associated with the console.

If you do take it apart you might put a piece of leather or vinyl below where the ashtray will sit…

Then when you lift out the inner ashtray you are looking at a finished area, not bare sheet metal.

1 Like