How to take off hardtop in 1961 xke

how do I take off the hard top? Do I just rotate the oblong bolt show in this picture which is similar to mine.?

Hi,

Yes, just undo that bolt on both sides and onviously release the three catches at the top of the windscreen (similar as the soft top) and lift the hardtop off. Usually easier if you have a helper, a two person job. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

If I am not mistaken, do not rest it on the back edge or the front edge: it should be supported by straps underneath the window openings or just laying flat.

You mean hang it? Why?

They are very fragile.

The leading edge of the top’s seal channel is just 1/8" skin of fiberglass. It can crack or over time sitting, warp if left with 75 pounds of weight pressing on it. The rear edge is a couple inches of 1/8" fiberglass skin. They frequently crack if it is lifted there or takes any significant weight. The strongest areas of the top for lifting are the window areas. They’re thick and are reinforced by the wide metal trim.

1 Like

I agree the back edge is more fragile than the front…however I have stored mine when not used on a rolling stand with padded support for 10 years…no problems.

Is the weight of the top borne by the edges, or is the padding such that the weight is distributed between an edge and the upper surface of the top?

The top is stored front edge down with the outer shell facing out and resting on 2 thick foam covered outriggers that form the bottom of the rolling stand and secured in place with adjustable straps. With this placement the outer side of the rear window is up and facing you. It is also supported on the interior side by a foam covered bar that is party of the stand.

Jack R. Kay
President & CEO
Susquehanna Real Estate
140 E Market Street
York, PA 17401
717-852-2365

Mine is similar to Jacks except the interior faces out from the stand…leading edge down no problem…also im sure these weigh less than 75#