How to test xjs relays?

Do they make a rely tester for older jag type relays?
I borrowed a friends Snap-on relay tester, and as cool as it it, and with all the attachments it had, it still didn’t seem to work with most of the xjs relays and simply showed them as not working, even when they do.
Is there any other way to test these relays out of car? I also have some spares I would like to know which is good.

Thanks in advance gents

never knew there was a tester for relays. I have always used a 12 volt source and a v.o.m. on hard to find or expensive relays. the cheap ones, I just swap in another. I will say that so far, the rare ones have always worked after opening them up and cleaning contacts.

1 Like

Knowing just enough about electickery to confuse myself, I think I could design and build a relay test device. For simplicity and clarity, I would use a 12 v power source, or maybe two for demonstrative effect, a switch and a light bulb.

The tops of many Bosch tyoe 4 and 5 pin relays have the schematic impressed on the top. It identifies the trigger pins and the load pins.

The trigger circuit can be activated on either the hot side or the ground side.

Relays have intrigued me for decades.

Carl

1 Like

Usually all the relays installed by the factory have a print-out of the diagram on the cover.
Some relays, like the fuel pump and main relay, have a diode incorporated, so polarity is important.
A 12V power source and a VOM can do the job just fine.
Aristides

1 Like