HT leads for V12 (Lucas)

I see a lot of choice out there for HT lead sets. The usual suspects offering cheap and moderate priced options and Magnecor at the top end. Current incumbents are a no name, no numbers, set of 8mm leads. Is there any point paying a huge sum of money for Magnecor’s aerospace grade 8.5mm silicon leads, or will a generic 8mm silicon set do the job?

I’ve put a generic 8mm silicon set about five years ago, works fine and holds well in time. Engine starts very easily, cold and hot.
Only disadvantage is that they are not numbered.

When I replaced the original ignition wiring on my car when I first was learning about engine fires and all the other disasters that can afflict the V12, I decided to go with the best wires I could find. Magnecor makes an 8mm set that are numbered, which is useful when you lube the advance weights in the distributor. The wire length and terminal ends are just right from one cylinder to the next, and everything “fits” neatly into place. Best of all, the 8mm wiring is blue, which matches the color of my car.! I think 8.5 ignition wiring would be overkill on a road car, and somewhat bulky. …and it’s red.

There’s a guy on eBay who can hand make a set of 8.5mm silicon for less than 60 quid. He also sells printed, heat shrink, numbers but doesn’t do numbered sets??? I still have the numbered set that was on the car before, so I’m thinking of slicing the numbered sleeves off, and attaching them with clear shrink wrap to the new set. Problem is getting the shrink wrap over the end boots. I have found a 4:1 shrink wrap in 32mm, which would work if I can get it over the angled boots.

I don’t understand why numbering the wire is a big deal. Dizzy cap has the numbers. Lay the wires out on the work bench and work shortest to longest one wire at a time between dizzy and correct spark plug. What am I missing?
For that matter, why couldn’t you use a label maker and apply clear heat-shrink?

If you just want to deal with one end of the system, say to take the distributor cap off, it is a lot easier to put back together and virtually eliminates mistakes. Yes new labels, or the old ones if can find the whole set, and the 4:1 clear heat shrink.

I often just throw a wrap of painters tape around each of the wires and mark them with a pen as I go.
I certainly see the utility of having a durable label.

Dave,
But if the car is Signal Red then those red Magnacor wires look perfect. :wink:

I do like the way the Magnacor wires are numbered and I got them after observing a significant amount of corona effect in the generic black wires that I purchased for this Marelli ignition 1990 XJ-S convertible prior to getting the Magnacor ones. There was a reduction in the corona effect with the Magnacor wires but it was still present when viewed at night in the engine bay. I guess it is normal, particularly in the Marelli cars.

Paul

1 Like

I saw some stuff on the net today that you put over the ignition wires to insulate from heat and from voltage leakage. And use a heat shrink at each end.
I think I saw it at Summit Racing. Comes in Red or in Blue. As an afterthought for folks that didn’t buy the Magnacor