Hub "Dancing" on stub axle ..MK2

My new stub axle fitted to carrier, I also fitted a new splash guard (very tight fit). The seal you mention actually fits into the rear of the hub with its lip running on the machined boss which is part of the carrier forging.

Andrew I should have been specific and stated that the rain shields
shown on your posted diagram were not fitted to the early cars.
I have checked a MKII 2.4 parts book. Chassis NOs commence at
100001 RHD and part number C18842, the hub mounted ring,
and C18843 the upright mounted ring were fitted from chassis number
108872 RHD. In the same time period It is logical that 3.4/8 would
also have these items fitted.
The large shield that John Ribbler mentions were fitted circa 1965.
Peter B.

i believe what Peter says above is correct. Jon mentions trying to source parts as if it was a1959 Mk 1 but in my memory this stuff is not the same as Mk 2. i checked Mk 1 parts book (june, 1959) = stub axle and carrier (upright) are different numbers from Mk 2 1960. also no rain shields that i can find.

The Mark 1 upright (which has a different seal arrangement) is indeed a different beast. Here is the Mark 1 upright:

And here is the Mark 2:

Notice how much more the lower B/J is inclined.

(I haven’t worked on a Mark 1, but I did see some uprights on a bench in a shop I visited once - I asked what had happened to the car, I thought the bottom had been bent in an accident.)

My car is chassis 210001BW and I don’t recall the front wheel bearings being a special type when I replaced them.

The car also has the pressed steel uprights and no brake disc shields.

I think the best response above is to try the inner race on the stub axle and if its loose then it may be the stub axle is worn (or the bearings are the wrong type which is very common on other cars with cheap repro bearings).

Thanks ! This is very much the photo I have been seeking. Neither the splash guard nor oil seal had been done in the workshop, so I will start with mounting those. There is also no doubt my stub axle carrier is like all MK 2 carriers. I have some extra bearings, and I will check them loose on the stub axle, to see if it is worn ! Thanks again ( Your very spesific photo have I not been able to find anywhere else) :wink:

Thanks ! Mine is definetely a MK 2 stub axle carrier. Thanks again .

Obs ! Obs ! I should have been clearer about the photos ; First photo is from “Valvechatter” , an american very carefully restoring his MK 2. The SECOND photo is my car / my stub axle ( No splash shield mounted, but very much grease ( so not easy to see))

1 Like

Hi Chris H ! My (technical) english is not sufficient to read your opinion properly. But I will read it carefully, and see if I can get the full understanding . ;- )

But …from what I can see, your axle looks very different from mine !

My original worn stub axle in my first photo differs from the aftermarket replacement shown in the second assembled photo only in that the replacement is machine finished all over, all the critical dimensions are as per drawing. The inner bearing races are a firm sliding hand fit on the axle.

Chrish , und Meine Herren !

I am / was much obliged with all the help here. Thus - the truth should come forward. It really shows how important these pages are, especially for amateures like …my self.
I trusted a local workshop to fit my new bearings, and my part was only to get back onto the stub axle carrier. So - …how …could I evan think of , - what really had happened? The local workshop …only mounted the races…and forgot about the bearings. Literally no bearings on the stub axle. &&%“¤(??”& amateures …like myself and local workshop! When I finally found out myself, I was so eager to get it back together, that I broke the brakeline bridge ! So, now Waiting for a new brakeline to arrive !
Any suggestions for a suitable reaction towards …"work"shop ? :wink: