Hub repair Speedi Sleeve

Refurbing the rear of my 150…drivers side splined hub had nasty wear/groove from the outer oil seal where years of dirt/grit and grease has worn a 0.003in groove…so filled grove with JB weld epoxy then fitted a Speedi Sleeve. …iv used these before on gearbox o/p shaft…diff i/p shaft…easy to fit and work great…Steve

They are very useful Steve, I’ve used them on my old Series Land Rovers and on the old Riley.

Roger What year and model Riley do you have? I have a 51 RMB.

Hello Steven, it’s a 1937 12/4 Sprite. I’m dismantling it for fresh paint at the moment.
I used to have a '52 RMA, lovely cars.

I have a 1952 RMB2 2.5 litre. My second favourite after our Mark 2’s.
That speedi sleeve repair looks great.
SAJ in NZ

So which will you take to the next British and European car show next year?

Robin, the Alvis club rely on me to take my 1953 TA21 3 litre. For Ellerslie concours my 1930 Model A roadster. For Napier Art Deco next year my wife’s 1962 3.8 Mark 2.
Might I see you at all these events?
SAJ in NZ

I’ll be in the Club Marquee at Ellerslie, apparently we have the circle where the club cars used to be judged, that’s happening in the new stables area I believe. We have been given the circle due to Jaguars’ 100th anniversary, I’ve never managed to get to Napier for the Art Deco week.

Steve;
I did the exact same thing, last year… I found that I had a half inch wide Leather Seal on one rear axle and it’s mating surface was perfect… However, the other side had a neoprene seal (like 1mm wide) and it cut a groove about 2mm wide and at least 1/4" deep!!
I did the exact same repair as you, as well…
Needless to say, I fitted ALL new LEATHER Seals, as required, on my XK120.
Should be good for another twenty years, or so ;-}
Charles #677556.

The seals i took out were the old leather type. …iv used modern replacements…its not the seal that causes the problem its dirt/grit/lack of cleaning/maintenance that grinds away at the surface…this was the cause of my wear…Steve

SKF Speedi Sleeves are designed to run with modern neoprene type seals, so you should be able to use these with a repair. Surely a more efficient seal than leather?

1 Like