Hubcap emblem removal - any ideas?

Hi all,

my SII car has been riding on its original grey steel wheel with rimbellishers and hubcaps, now with chrome Turbo wheels and the same hubcaps.

The hubcaps are prone to rusting and for years I’ve been chasing good chrome hubcaps. Finally, I’ve got a good deal of good ones, but will have to remove Daimler emblems - which I’ll have surplus (please note anyone who is interested, pm me) - and have to relocate my original Jaguar emblems.

Those of you with alloy wheels might not know, but these emblems have two tabs going through the hubcaps and are locked by round plates made from spring steel that have three protrusions inward biting into the softer metal of the cast emblem (C.22583).

These locker plates are easy to put on, but kind of awkward to remove (which is their original purpose, after all). I seem to remember I managed to prise one off on another occasion, but today I was unpatient enough to break one of the emblem tabs.

With this lesson learned and the view to prising of no less than 12 of these thingies I wanted to make use of the wealth of experience here to find out whether there are any tricks to make it safer and easier. Obviously it is necessary to take the load from these three “biting” protrusions. However, the space to get some kind of lever behind them is fairly limited - maybe a veeery small screwdriver, better even some kind of hook.

Thank you all and enjoy the week end

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

I know what you mean Jochen, what you have done is probably the only thing thats going to work, brute force, as you say these go on easily but the are not designed to be removed. Destruction looks to be the only option.

Try with a Dremmel and a cutting disc/grinder, it’s small enough and you can reach in there to carefully grind and weaken one of the locker plate’s tab. Of course you will need new locker plates after.

I had to do this and found that by getting square nosed pliers on the retaining clip and rotating and pulling in a screwing motion it gradually eased off. Don’t pull too hard because the tabs want to dig in, but concentrate on the rotating motion with a little bit of pull.

No innuendo intended.

Thank you all!

For the moment I’ve used Aristides’ method. Works quick, clean and does the job, unfortunately destructive - hope I get these locking tabs! I did the first eight in around 25 mins.

For the last four I’ll try Bertie’s method - don’t worry about the innuendo and ask me how much I tried to avoid it while typing my question. BTW, the Daimler emblems are easier: they are pretty flat and below the outer level of the hubcap. So you can put the hubcap on a piece of wood and hit the tabs out with a hammer. You’ll get almost 2 mm of play to find grip for the pliers. Jaguar emblems are worse in this respect as the growler protrudes over the rim of the hubcaps.

BTW, I’ve got both Daimler emblems out. One is a chrome “D” over matte black, but with one tab lost (shouldn’t matter if you glue it in), one is all matte black. PM me if you need them. I don’t.

Now I’ll have to get some locking springs …

Have a good start into next week

Jochen

S3 are glued, one surplus made it onto our key-board I had to make during my apprenticeship.

(Whoops, it is upright on the album :confounded:)
Double-sided tape should do!! If you’re lucky you could get a small nut to thread on or make a groove for ‘safety wire’…
with the usual steel-spring-clips I try to “flip” one of the teeth and then lever the rest out, but it is not easy and often I thread them off (Bertie) or lose it and break the part.

David

1 Like

Managed to get mine off (with patience) by prising the edge of the clip up a little with a flat bladed screwdriver and cutting the spring steel off with side cut pliers. They’re single use clips - you will need new clips on re-fitting.

F

One final comment, I had a very worrying speed related click that I spent ages trying to diagnose and had already anticipated a hefty bill for something propshaft, diff or wheelbearing related.

No, it was just a hubcap emblem slightly loose. Refixing the clips and putting some VHB tape behind to take out any play and fix more securely solved it.

So make sure it’s fixed tight with no play and if you need to use some more modern technology to do this I don’t see why you shouldn’t

Mine was on the mantel above the fireplace along with the a Series I grill and big leaper mounted on a piece of wood.
Then the wif moved back in - Poof! gone!!

Not to be a smart ass,
but carefully. along with prayers, lots of prayers.
I tried to pop mine off to fix a dent in the cap - and snapped 1 of the tabs off I was not a happy camper.
Good news new ones are still available. :slight_smile:
but their stick on :frowning_face:

Funny, how many experiences we share!

I had that “ring, ding-a-ling”, Bertie, when I got the car and tracked it down to the rear left hub cap emblem and fixed it with some hot plastic glue.

As for the broken tab, Mark, been there, done that, got the broken tab to prove it,

And, again, if you tolerate loss of the clip, it’s a very quick, but not so dirty job with a Dremel, as per Aristides’ advice.

Now I’ll have to order those clips …

Best

Jochen

1 Like

Mine was more a clunk clunk clunk on slow down and take off. I had clean snapped off the end of the half shaft with the nut (‘66 ‘S’) and it was floating around the hub cap. Too much side ways on a grass gymkhana.

1 Like