Huff Stuff/ Projects

Looking at your main, you can set up a Cunningham fairly easily using a small piece of line and the existing cringle. Just pass the line through the cringle and tie it off under the boom. I’ve done that several times when I’ve found myself as crew racing on boats that didn’t have one.

But first make sure that your halyard has got your sail all the way up. The waviness of the luff makes me think your halyard may have slacked off. Once the halyard has the sail all the way up, the Cunningham can be used. HTH

Hoist seems to come up short for some reason that is beyond me, literally, 30 ft up- I will need to check if any obstruction. As is works well with most conditions I encounter and will work in this trim method, as well as the (new) cringle at the foresail, as I go on. Thanks, Huff

“the sum of a man’s vices never changes” which also applies to what has been “paid”.

In this case I am breaking even which is a huge gain.

H

2 Likes

Unless you have a mess o knots on the halyard shackle you might want to question the goose neck location on the mast Huff. Probably easier to change the sail than mess with a carbon mast. On a lot of those old aluminum masts you can just slide the boom down. Ah, progress - always a price to pay!

Seeing as how this thread seems water orientated I thought you might like this;

Hard to comment on luff shape only looking at the tack of the main. Lotsa factors beside hoist can affect. Looks like a fun sail though ,love the carbon mast !
Shoulda come with us for a ride.

1 Like

Definition of a sailboat:

[noun] A hole in the water surrounded by wood and/or fibreglass into which one pours money.

1 Like

Similar to the definition of a race car.

:expressionless:

So true.
Rake, mast bend, leeward sag, spreader set, vang purchase…etc.
How high could she make way close hauled?

Great discussion!!

I’m now sure I cannot possibly live long enough to learn how to sail, but this conversation is educational.

Had to go find this:wink:

I am pointing 25-ish degrees, off apparent wind, close-hauled. “No sail zone” on my Windex is 55 and I am pinching comfortably inside that, which is enough performance for me.

Huff

P.S. I can teach anybody the basics of how to sail in 10 seconds or less…ready?

‘you just can’t sail directly into the wind’

H

Here’s my boat, 34’. Designed in 1934 for sailing the strong winds on San Francisco Bay, and a winner of the Master Mariner regatta.

1 Like

Wow. Planking lines…from real planks? Wooden spars…‘bristol’ coil for the tail of the traveler… holding on the windward side…in…ah…judging by the whitecaps…15 to 20kn?

I will just go lay down by my bowl, now.

1 Like

…but first…with the cunningham tensioned on the mainsail- reduced weather helm and tied off the tiller…note the wake aft of the stern. This is near 5kn in 8 to 10 wind.

Huff

2 Likes

I love the shadow on the sail.
Cheers,
LLynn

1 Like

Your sail looks much better! :+1: