Hypothetical Lean burn with H.E. Heads

I have a little bit of knowledge I have picked up from here and there and I fear it is starting to become a dangerous thing. From my understanding the H.E. Heads will tolerate extremely lean conditions before detonation, and further that the air fuel ratio used Was chosen for environmental regulations.

Does a leaner burn necessarily mean less power? Does the resistance to detonation that the swirl chamber exibits resist high compression ratio detonation as well?

The H.E engine already uses a very high compression ratio, if we take that as a fixed value and the fuel grade as a fixed value how lean could it possibly run? Does increasing octane also contribute to anti-knock in lean condition?

Could that same formula be reversed then, say you take the highest octane available as a fixed value, set the air:fuel to 12.1 or whatever peak power is and then find the highest compression ratio possible as a way to increase the output of an HE engine?

Is there a book or something I can learn about combustion chambers without being particularly versed in the mathematics?

try wikipedia, just ask piston engine combustion chambers.

altho many things have been tried on Jag HE engines and with little USEFUL results!

the engine was never designed for performance , mainly fuel efficency, smoothness, quiet, emissions!

ron

I have been reading quite a bit about it online. I find books tend to be a little more long form and I seem to develop my understanding of things somewhat leisurely. I learn better I think that way, moving through a single structured tome. I suppose with enough digging I could find something like that online though I prefer to pay for books than use pirate a PDF. God I am becoming an old man already.

I’m going to have to find myself a flat head, there’s just no way the h.e. will give much more than it does now is my understanding from the gathered wisdom of all who have come before.

I’m envious of your outlaw class and dirty looks from classicist at car shows. I’m going to be joining you at the end of the line one of these days.

1 Like

thanks Kyle, Yeah ! Outlaw class Jaguars, i do get lots of great comments on my car !

ron