I am in the process of buying a rare 1997 X330 (XJ6L). Any special advice, caveats?

The inside is in beautiful condition, and the paint/finish is to die for. The automobile runs well and I think that it should last a long time. Yes, I am in love, but I’m not blind enough to be stupid.

I like the machine and will take good care of it. (I want to make another 2350-mile run to Tijuana in it). :grinning:

2 Likes

Well Jon, All I can tell you is Ive owned them all NEW…
When I hit 100,000 on my 95 x300, every 3,000 miles…
25/50 and filter.
Every year chevron/techron fuel injector cleaner
Clean the back of throttle body butterfly and throat for ALL carb buildup around the butterfly.
I cheated with a k "n filter in the stock box as these moors had a bit of heavy blow by, saving the egr and all.
I sold it with 175,000 miles in 7 YEARS!!!
The current owner is pushing 300,000 !!!
They are wonderful bullet proof tanks.
gtjoey1314

It looks as if I’ll have the “cat” for a long time to come. All I want to do is drive it, change the synthetic oil in it every 5000 miles and keep it well maintained. I believe that this “kitty” will be a special automobile for me.

I just returned from Tijuana on the 1st of April but I hear the road calling my name. If I have the wherewithal to pay for the hotel room at the Aqua Rio Hotel www.aquariohotel.com. I could see myself spending another $1500.00 (including fuel costs for more time south of the border. It is an 1160 mile drive and the Jag would take such a trip with ease.

Don’t you think?

If you think $3k guarantees a POS, you should see what i’m driving around for $900 :). All in $5k is fine too. Still cheap for what you get.

1 Like

That’s not quite what I said :slight_smile:

I agree.

Cheers
DD

I used my X300/XJR as a daily driver for years. Great car; I liked it a lot. But the entire ownership experience was by no means a pleasure cruise the whole way. :slight_smile:

Anyhow, I sold it at 171k miles and engine was still running sweet as a nut. Frankly I had a helluva time selling the car and eventually let it go for a song. I’m sure the deteriorating paint was a major factor. It didn’t hold up anywhere near as well as the rest of the car.

Cheers
DD

1995 they built the new x300 with 100,000 a car for a 65,000 price tag.
My car had bowling ball paint that never lost its shine as they were proving a point…
Just think, a series 3 xj6 was falling apart new.
To think a Jaguar can last like a 1978 mercedes diesel was un heard of…
Then they cheapened out with the v8 and the rest slide down the shaft as the years went by…
95 to 97 were just great great cars. And a fun time.
gtjoey1314

This is what I thought as I test-drove the X330 and made my decision. I don’t know how much faith anyone else has, but a friend of mine and I consulted “The Master Mechanic”. He indicated that I wasn’t going to come out on “the short end of the stick”. I used what mechanical knowledge I possess and placed my trust in Him. I think that 'll be okay.

I too LOVE the X300 XJ6. I have driven them for 26 years having bought new a 95 XJ6 Vanden Plas. I also have one of the very last 1997 XJ6 Vanden Plas with only 35,000 original miles in mint condition.

There is no X330! Was this a typo? I do not know what you are referring to with only 200 or so made? The Vanden Plas, except 1995, were all long wheel-based cars in the US.

If you paid $3,000 for a nice clean car with 188,000 miles is about right here in NC. I have seen several cars with that mileage and totally rust free for sale here for about that amount.

Enjoy your X300. They are awesome cars! Jaguar screwed up in 1998 with the X308 who had a multitude of engine problems!

Richard

I was informed that the X300 LWB (XJ6L) was known as the X330. This is what I am buying. I am simply using the nomenclature given by more than one internet source. (I could be wrong).
I understand the Vanden Plas is more luxurious and has fold-down tables on the back of the front seats. Mine does not. Aside from that, they are quite similar. The Vanden Plas wasn’t labeled with an “L” suffix to the model declaration on the back panel. I have no intention of causing confusion (or consternation).

You are 100% correct. Jaguar “fouled up beyond all recognition” (FUBAR) when they discontinued the 4.0 AJ16 I6. It was, and still is, a hideous mistake.

Just remember even though I agree
In the states they wanted a v8 in 1972
Plus at that time 1997 the straight 6 was not going to keep up with the current emissions
All these years later Land Rover , Bmw all bringing back a straight 6 with modern Technology
Gtjoey134!

My first Jag was a five year old X300 3.2L XJ6. I’ve done more miles in more countries in 3.2/4.0 and 6.0L X300s than any other Jags. My X300s have included a short wheelbase 94 Daimler and a pre production 94 manual XJR6, and the last one was a 97 XJ6L like you’ve just bought. You could say I’m a fan of the X300. I’ve owned around 15 different XJ6, XJ8 & XK12 models, with five seats or four, of all Series except Series 1.

There is no question that with like-for-like suspension and wheel/tyre sizes, X308 cars are quicker smoother, quieter, more frugal and best equipped of them all, leaving aside the X350 I‘ve never yet driven. Apart from having a soft spot for the 6-dial X300 dash and the more extensive X300 matchwood inlays on the Daimler/VDP models, the X308 is also the prettiest 4-door XJ, but unlike the other points beauty is just opinion, not demonstrable objective fact.

Even though they succeeded in their goal of producing a very light and efficient engine, I think Jaguar were let down (or dropped the ball) in choosing resin for their early V8 tensioners and water pump impellers. They were over-ambitious in choosing single row timing chain handled by borderline guides, and they were caught out by Nikasil and high sulphur fuel on very short journeys.

The loss of DIY serviceability (e.g.,wheel bearings) and increased use of complex electronics were inevitable, but the biggest screw-up was not their fault. I had a 1999 Super V8 on about 260,000 mile Nikasil cylinders and my present 2001 Nikasil block has 110,000 (from memory) and I don’t see either one suffering engine trouble. However both needed new gearboxes. Around the 100,000 mark the sealed Merc and ZF boxes ‘bought the farm’. I suspect my used VDP replacement fitted last Fall may not last beyond this year. I don’t know how much input Jaguar had to the ZF gearbox spec but they will have agreed to the sealed version on the basis that if/when it failed it would be long gone from the dealer network.

Other than that, it’s X308 all the way.

1 Like

I had considered this. Why? Father had purchased 1968 Rambler Rebel (American Motors Corporation) station wagon (Estate to you folks across the pond). This was powered by one of the longest-running engines ever created (A 3.8 liter I6). This could be driven for years because of its robust manufacture. It is still legendary to this very day.

My attorney called and by May 1st, I’ll probably have $13,333.33 ($9701 GBP) by May 1st. I will pay off the XJ6L and be ready for a nice long 2500-mile road trip. (This will be so cool)!

Richard: I obtained the X330 numeric code from Wikipedia. This was how Jaguar’s code differed from the original X300. (I researched this before I began typing about this automobile). These were manufactured at the Coventry plant while the 1995 XJ40 Majestic was sent away to an another company to be structurally elongated.

No insult intended. I did my homework.

You missed Mercedes in your straight 6 return file. BMW never stopped straight 6’s. Just saying

The Mercedes wasn’t discontinued for a good reason. It is reliable. The I6 Mercedes has an incredibly long lifespan. From what I understand a properly serviced Merc I6 can last 400,000 + miles.

I could make sooooo many comments about this thread(?) , but I won’t.

I was pertaining to Jag
I thought years ago I was going to put one of those in an Etype with fuel injection
But I’m waiting for the battery conversion now
:grinning:

Didn’t someone in the UK do a beauuuuuutiful E OTS with an AJ 16 conversion years ago?