I finally received my 1987 Vanden Plas after buying it sight unseen last May!

Greetings from Seattle, Washington! I did post this on the Forums so I apologize if you’ve seen it before.

Well, the long wait is finally over. I shared a couple months ago I bought an ‘87 Vanden Plas sight unseen last May from a dealership in the commonwealth of Virginia. I found it on AutoTrader. It had only 26k miles and was a two owner car before the PO sold it to the dealer. I paid $12,500 US. I didn’t mind paying that price because I wanted to find the best car I could and don’t mind paying a premium. I hope to keep the car for many years. The second owner told me it mostly sat in his garage for 25 years, only putting about 5k miles on it. (Yes, he thankfully had the fuel tanks refinished a year ago because of rust. He also replaced the rear brakes and calipers.) I have loved Series III’s and have wanted an ‘87 since ‘88 when Jaguar introduced the XJ40. My parents had an ‘86 VDP and I fell in love with that car. When they traded it in for an ‘88 I think I was sorry because I preferred the classic lines of the Series III.

When I found the car, I was leaving the country for vacation and didn’t have time to fly to Virginia to inspect it before I left. So I had a buyer’s inspection done by a mechanic who’s personal car happens to be a Series III. He basically raved about the car and told me it was almost in like new condition. It is in many ways. The air conditioning didn’t work and he replaced the two fans in the dash and converted the system. He said it blew cold. He also replaced the headliner because it was sagging and he changed the oil and transmission fluid. Then I waited almost a month to find a carrier to bring it to Seattle. The wait was excruciating! After getting picked up by a carrier, it took another two weeks for it to arrive. I got it last Saturday. As I was on my way to pick it up, I felt like a little kid on Christmas Day. I was so excited!

The car has exceeded my expectations in many ways and let me down in others. How has it exceeded my expectations? I forgot how nice these cars drive. It’s so heavy and rides like a dream! And it’s tight and quiet. The engine runs great (minus a rough idle but I understand this is normal), the transmission shifts well, and the suspension feels tight though I have recently learned it needs all new bushings, boots, etc. I just ordered all those parts and they’ll be installed next week.

I think what I love the most is how the car just looks like a work of art. It’s so beautiful and I can’t stop staring at it. Jaguar really outdid themselves when they designed and built the Series III. Wow.

The interior almost looks brand new and I particularly love the cream leather. The driver seat had some slight wear from getting in and out but it was very minor. I had it refinished just today and it looks brand new now. The black vinyl was pulling away from the wood trim on the right rear door and I had that fixed today too. The wood dash looks new. There are a couple cracks that are maybe a half inch in the corners of the ski slope and I didn’t even notice them for a while. They don’t bother me. The right rear window is inoperative. I tried both the front and rear switches. I replaced the switches with one that works and the window is still not working. So it must be the motor. When I press the window switch, the interior lights don’t dim and there is no sound from the motor. Maybe it’s just a bad connection. If the motor is frozen, how do you get it to move?

I just had the windows tinted and I like the look.

The engine is in in pretty decent shape though in many ways it looks like the 30 year old engine it is. The valve covers are peeling and there was a brake fluid leak at some point that damaged the paint on one side. I felt inside the valve cover and just right of the oil filler hole (is that what it’s called?) I could feel what feels like a plate and a screw so it must have a stake down kit. In time, I hope to bring the engine bay up to show quality but that’s a low priority at this point.

The trunk or boot looks brand new!

But I do have some unpleasant surprises and am a little disappointed in the mechanic. The air doesn’t blow cold. There must be a Freon leak somewhere. I do believe the mechanic when he told me it blew cold when he had it six weeks ago. Also, after I filled both tanks, gasoline started pouring out from the left side near the gas tank. I could hear noise coming from the gas cap. When I lifted the gas cap, the sound and the leak stopped. After researching these forums and Doug’s help with someone who had a similar problem, I suspect a faulty return valve. But maybe it’s just a leaky fuel line. So until I get it fixed, I’m running the car using the right tank with no problems. The rugs the VDP’s came with (were they cashmere?) are missing. Does anyone know where to find a set? I’d love to get some. But my biggest disappointment is what looks like clear coat checking on much of the boot lid. I wasn’t told about this and it’s a big surprise. I showed it to a couple detail guys and one told me he didn’t think it would rub out and another one told me it would. He’s going to try rubbing it out next week. I hope it works because I took the car to my body shop to show them the checking and they told me if they painted the trunk, it wouldn’t match the fenders. Yikes! The paint on the car is original and is otherwise gorgeous! I just can’t imagine repainting the car with such beautiful original paint.

I knew there would be plenty of things I’d want to do to the car and I love having projects and doing as much of them myself as I can. I’m no mechanic by any means, however I get great pleasure when I can do something myself. The help on this site I know will be invaluable. And I’ll always try searching a problem to find the answer in an old thread before I ask for help.

To sum it all up, I’m absolutely in love with the car and feel so blessed to be it’s caretaker. I have named her, Classy. I just wanted to share! :slight_smile:

PS: I tried adding pictures but ran into problems. I’ll add some soon.

1 Like

To what extent did the mechanic delve into the AC, Danny… ?

The point here is that the long storage would likely have dried out the seals causing problems. And a complete checkout would also have including applying vacuum to dry out the system and for leak checking prior to a refill. If this was not done and the receiver/drier was not changed it is not commensurate with best practice - particularly if the refrigerant was converted. That the fans had to be changed is somewhat unusual…

There is also the possibility that the system is stuck in ‘heating’. As an initial check; listen to the sound of the servo resetting while the temp selector is alternatively placed in ‘65’ and ‘85’…

It’s also a bit odd that the leak from the gas tank stopped when the filler lid was opened. A failed return or changeover valve would continue to pour out petrol until the other tank was selected…?

But these are but minor in a car that otherwise seems in fine fettle…congratulations…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

2 Likes

Here are the pics I tried uploading last night.

What looks like clear coat checking on the boot lid :confused:

2 Likes

Hi Frank,

Thank you for the nice words and helpful feedback.

The invoice from the mechanic just says he converted and repaired, and serviced the air conditioning system, checked the condition of all belts and lines, and evacuated and recharged with R-134. So I don’t think he was thorough from what you described. I’m having a mechanic here go through the system this week. I’ll bring the temp from 65 to 80 and listen for the sound you described. My mechanic will also check the fuel tanks/lines, etc, and the front end. The mechanic in Virginia didn’t even mention the ball joints and all the bushings in the front needed replacing during the buyer’s inspection; I discovered all that when I tried having the car aligned. So he clearly wasn’t thorough like I thought and hoped he would be. Oh well…

The good news is the car is truly immaculate (minus the clear coat checking on the boot lid but I hope it can be rubbed out) and runs and drives beautifully. :grinning:

Yup, saw it on the JF. But, only some of us visit both forums, so no issue here.

Converted, repaired, evacuated and recharged is the language. But, what repair and leak checked ?
the process is to establish a vacuum in the system and see it will remain or “leak” away. Many endure tiny leaks, but a big one and it will cool until the level goes low and then the protection stops compressor action altogether.

Memory just tickled. I used to recharge my Jeep about once every year. I just turned on the air and watched the clutch on the compressor, If it engaged, all was usually well, If not, low and a recharge of about a can restored compressor action and cooling.

A couple of years ago, I used a refill ith leak sealer. So far all good… Need it for sure around here now1

Carl

1 Like

Very nice colors, and very nice condition - congrats! Without issues to work on it would be boring wouldn‘t it? Enjoy and drive it!

Martin

1 Like

Hard to tell from the pic but based on the last pic showing the trunk where it meets the 1/4 panel I see no reason to paint the car all over. Being BC/CC system any competent painter should be able to repaint the lid and blend the top of the 1/4s and clear trunk and 1/4s without it sticking out like a sore thump. Who ever does the repair the main thing is to not cheap out on materials, using the top of the line paint system of what ever brand the shop uses is the key to achieving satisfactory results. Whatever system used it needs to be used from start to finish with the clearcoat being as important as the other steps getting to that stage. Cheap clearcoats have a tendency to yellow over time.

Edit
trying to buff them out may buy you some time on having to paint but eventually its probably going to need painting.

1 Like

Thanks, Carl.
I have the same issue with my XJR. No one can find the Freon leak but it’s slow enough that I just charge it in the summer and winter and it works fine. I can deal with a slow leak. But his car obviously has a bad leak.
Danny

I was certainly surprised when the body shop I’ve used a few times and been happy with, told me they wouldn’t be able to match it. But before I do anything drastic like painting the whole car (if it doesn’t buff out to my satisfaction), I would take it to several specialty painters and see what they say. I do think I could find someone who could match it like you said.

Thanks for the feedback!

Danny

Last month I bought color matched paint from these folks.
www.tcpglobal.com
Click on their auto color library.
They have a color chart for 87 Jaguar.
The color I got was gunmetal for my 1950 Mark V, for which they had a formula and a chart. I haven’t sprayed it yet but it seems to be a good match.

1 Like

You know…my 1st thought was, “12k is a lot” and “it should have been in working order”

Now…after a day to think about it…“12k is nothing”…NOW THE REAL WORK STARTS…

Perfection is not EASY nor Cheap…get started eating the Elephant…to perfection

And This…right now I am working on my '86 xj6 that I bought from Kareem for $700…a life long desert car…and this is after Kareem spent “north of 30k” for perfection…only to be ripped off by Jag mechanics and body shops…for instance, new $5.5 k rebuildt motor + installation= blown head gasket within 400 miles…Kareem’s license plate say’s…JAG4ME…and Kareem said to me, I tried…I paid…I guess it is not going to be a jag4me…
Sooo…good luck…you are going to need it.

Just to start…you can not match paint…not long term…the day it goes out the door…it will match…from that day forward it will UNMATCH…for sure.

Mitch

Maybe you can tell that to my customers of 30-40 years that keep coming back because they have no problems with the how the repair looks when I’m finished with the repair of their car.

Exactly…they have Noo problem…I do…i can see it every time…especially given time

I am referring to Perfection…not a sand and shoot production body shop…best way to make money tho

You say 30 years…I opened my 1st body shop in 1985…414 S summitview, Ft. Collins, Colorado…further my parents built and opened a MUSCLE car lot in 1965…1243 Lincoln Av, Loveland, Co…still a car lot today

Go ahead and color sand and buff…looks like…junk…you know why…the factory does not do it…unless the car is damaged…tell me you can not see it…I can see it everytime…all the time…I got it…just take your buffed car to a new car lot at night under the lights and park next to the new cars…now behold…see the difference…

Pour the Mequires on…it wares off…not a problem tho once it is OUT THE DOOR and been paid

BTW…Wayne…I read your response and I AGREE with you…paint with good materials and blend it in…it will match for a while…but not forever

Wayne (from below)…I agree again…“stick to making music” could not agree more…it is a much better gig. I only do my cars now…only…and further, I wish I knew more about how to repair cars…always surprised how little I know and how I forget

Wayne (from below)…was this car misrepresented…" seller pulled one over"…I do not know…I am not Danny

I’m not going to get in a pissing contest with you on the subject but it amazes me that someone who’s always posting about how every car he buys the seller pulled one over on him all thousands of them (your words not mine) knows so much about what it takes to repair cars. Maybe you should stick to making music.

Good luck with the car Danny. I’m out of this thread.

Simple tests of AC include; checking that idle rpms drop when turned out of ‘off’ - verifying that the compressor is engaging. Locating the sight glass at the evaporator, and with engine idling and AC turned on check for air bubbles. An occasional bubble verifies indicates that the system is full, a stream of bubbles that it is low - and no bubbles may indicate full or empty. A further easy check; if the centre vents are open and fans at full speed; the system is in ‘cold’ - and should blow cold/cool. The defrost vents should be closed except when ‘def’ is selected. Any AC shop can handle the refrigerant/compressor side of the system - the mechanicals inside may puzzle them…

As an aside; the rubber bushings may deteriorate due to age, but I would be very surprised on a low mileage car if the ball joints would require any attention…

And you are dead right - the car is a feast for the eyes…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

1 Like

That is a beautiful XJ6! I wish mine looked that good. Oh, probably if I didn’t have so many I could focus on 1 and make it look that good. Haha

Thank you Mark! Yes, concentrating on just one Series III sounds a little easier haha. How many do you have? I think one can never have too many Jags :slight_smile:

I’ve got 3 XJ-S’s 4 XJ6’s and a '02 XJR-100
In order of acquisition
The '88 XJ-S I’ve had for 20 years; the '02 XJR-100 I purchased 5 years ago. The XJR-100 was an anniversary model of the XJR and only 500 were ever produced. This one sounded like it had marbles rolling around in the engine. What I knew and the owner didn’t was the sound was the excess wear on the drive shaft coupler in the supercharger. I had a 89 Bonneville SSE same supercharger, same issue, easy fix. I picked this car up for a song. It had 65,000 miles on it. I took the supercharger off, polished the inwards, replaced all of the bearings & the Teflon blades, turned down the drive pulley to increase the boost - and there you have it! Goes like stink rides like a Ford. Not my favorite car to drive - though it is a head turner.

This one doesn’t count. This is an '86 that supposedly was rust free, rebuilt engine and transmission. It was an ebay purchase (sight unseen) I paid way too much for. When it arrived; it didn’t run, the bonnet wasn’t shut (because it couldn’t - the front hing was rusted off!) You could see the road through the floors of the boot, and the driver & passenger floor. the rear quarter Panels were made completely of body filler. When I tried to take the gas tanks out, they wouldn’t budge. so I decided to cut the quarts out and use them as spares. busted out the death wheel, and went to town only to discover there wasn’t any metal it was all body filler. Kudo’s to the guy who shaped the rear quarters out of body filler; but seriously!! The rest of the car was stripped and used it as a parts car. I’m still pissed off over this one. No bad marks where given to the ebay seller. Lord knows I tried. That was an expensive lesson.

Since I had an drive train from a Series III; I picked up the '85 Series III on Christmas Eve in the hill top district of Tacoma (If you know the PNW; you know that was a scary proposition - waiting 6hrs for a tow truck).

She was a no runner with no rust. $500.00 - Thank you Craiglist!. As it turned out all it needed was a coil to get her to running. Oh, and when I purchased the car it had 54,000 miles. It has 77 on her now; she’s my daily driver.
She’s been in the stable about 4 years.

Here’s a picture of two generations of XJ’s

This one has story. I saw it on craigslist for $750.00 3 or 4 years back. My buddy and I looked at the car together; he thought I should purchase it. I passed on it because this one was going to require a ton of work; to fix the PO’s F’ ups. She ran & stopped, steering? that’s a different story.
About 6 months later; I called the Seller to see if it was still for sale. He said the car was being loaded up - he just sold it. It wasn’t meant to be, I thought.

About a year later I see the same car on craigslist as a parts car. I contacted the owner and informed him that the car is too good to be a parts car. I’d be willing to purchase it. He wanted more than what he paid for it. I informed him that I had all sorts of Jag bits; and asked what he was looking for; he said a rolling chassis. It just so happened I had one. So I traded the stripped rust bucket for this car. It’s a '74 Short Wheel Base Series II XJ6. The car isn’t original, and frankly looks much better than what it actually is. So I was going to put the extra XJR V8 in it and make a drift car out of it.

I asked the question to the forum members; it was brought to my attention that the car is a SWB Series II and that there are very few left. I didn’t want to believe it this clapped out Series II was so rare. So I did some research.

1974 was the last year for the short wheelbase XJ’s. To the best that I can figure, there were roughly 2500 LHD short wheel base Series II built - period full stop (If I’m wrong, I’m sure someone will correct me). How many are left? That I haven’t figured out yet. Like I have more fingers and toes; than there are SWB Series II’s, so putting it back together would be a better choice. I don’t think any were imported into the US. I know I’ve never seen one. to this day, other than mine; I’ve never seen a SWB Series II.

!

the '87 XJ-SC I don’t have pictures of. It was purchased as a parts car - an insurance total because it was rear ended. As I was taking the car apart, I was noticing how well it was maintained. so I stopped; and I’m considering putting it back together; or turning it into a track car. It too is in storage, and I haven’t gotten to it either. This car has 70,000 miles on it. Here’s a picture of what it use to look like. now the back end is mashed in.
1987-jaguar-xj-sc-cabriolet-53l-v12-california-car-black-59k-miles-2-owner-4

I purchased this car in Canada it’s a no runner for $1,000. Thank you again Craigslist. It has 46,000 miles on the clock. It’s in storage and I haven’t had a chance to get to it yet. I did get it running, by cleaning the grounding points. but It needs a fair bit of work. either it was sitting in the weather for a while, or it went for a swim. No rust to speak of, but the signs of interior water ingress are definitely there.

Originally I purchased this '86 Series II as a trade for the Series I below, oh and also for the 7" headlight rings. These are really hard to come by at a decent price. There’s a chap in California that is remanufacturing the big light trim rings; but at $600.00 a set - it’s a bit steep for me. This too a non runner - craigslist. I purchased this car for $400.00. I replaced the alternator then she eventually fired up. Ran like crap.
I’ve already tightened the cam timing chain; put a tune on it, removed the air pump, and gussied up the engine a bit. It does run - and quite well I might add. 139k on the clock. I’m far from done. This car does have rust, it needs suspension work, and the interior refreshed. Then there’s the paint…

The seller of this car decided he didn’t want the Series III. Ugh! But the Series I is by far my favorite looking of the XJ saloons. I purchased this car for $1,000. on craigslist I got a extra set of Dayton 72 wire wheels, as well as a bunch of other interior bits and exterior bright work. pretty much a complete set of exterior bright work. Missing? the seats… the seats are from a X300 This one is a bit tough to come by I’m scouring the Internet looking for an interior for the Series I.

Then there’s the '96 Impala SS, '88 Cavalier Z24 convertible, & the '70 1/2 RS Camaro…

I have too many cars. I imagine this is a bit more than you bargained for. :blush:

3 Likes

Mark!

Wow. Thank you for taking the time to introduce your cars, provide all the pictures, and the stories behind each one. I loved reading about them. It’d be fun to see them in person sometime. You’re in Canada? I’m just north of Seattle.

I see Craigslist has been good to you. It’s fun to scour CL from time to time to see what’s out there. Clearly, there are great deals to be found. eBay too.

I’ve had several XJS’s over the years though I’m currently XJSless. I have an’02 XJR as well and it may be my favorite car I’ve ever owned. So I don’t agree it drives like a Ford. I think it’s an amazing car in every way and it puts a smile on my face whenever I get in it. I bought it sight-unseen on eBay and it was a one-owner California car. It’s been reliable and nothing but a pleasure these four years I’ve owned it. It has 80k miles now. It had a little over 50k when I bought it.

My other car is a ‘14 XKR convertible. I’ve had that a couple years. It has about 25k miles. I found it on CL in Los Angeles. A Lexus dealer bought it at auction. The original owner had traded it in and the Lexus dealer got it at auction. It had some right side damage from an accident but was repaired well. I got it for more than $10,000 below blue book at the time. I suppose the fact it had been in an accident reduced the value by that much. But I was very happy because I had wanted at least a 2012 because Jaguar had changed the front end in 2012. But I ended up with this 2014 for the price of a 2012 and it still had a factory warranty. The car is a rocket and is amazing. Jaguar did a fantastic job when they designed the X150.

And now I have this ‘87 VDP and I’m smitten with it though it’s giving me some unexpected challenges that are definitely testing my patience!

Danny

I was looking through the archives tonight.
Amazing pics and stories!