I love the new ROM DVD

If any of you, like me, have scratched your old ROM cd into uselessness, don’t be afraid to drop $65 on the new version. JTP1007 is the part number. There’s WAY more information. Basically anything piece of XJS ephemera is there, including press kits, manuals, tech bulletins, everything. I’m very much enjoying it and reccomend that you upgrade your old CD.

2 Likes

If any of you, like me, have scratched your old ROM cd into
uselessness…

Car wax.

– Kirbert

Make an .iso copy of the original media and mount that as a CD/DVD.

For the old, non copy protected, CDs I just copied the .pdf files into a set of folders.

Many of the new copy protection schemes don’t depend on the original physical media, so you can burn a copy of the original (either .iso or a physical copy) and as long as you have the unlocking code it works fine.

Car wax might take out light scratches, but no I ruined and disposed of it. I had the files once but that was ten years and a couple of pc’s ago so everything was gone. Didn’t replace it because I felt I’ve been running XJSs for 20 years, I don’t need no stinkin’ manual, I had it memorized… so I thought. Anyway, my point is, the extra content makes it a worthwhile purchase. Now if I get my 92 running it will really have paid off!

I have had some success in restoring the proper functioning of music CDs using 3M Finesse car polish. I just buff out the scratches by hand until they are very minor, like I have done many times with the minor paint scratches on my Jaguars. This has worked with minor scratches but not deep large ones. I have also heard that toothpaste will do the same, but I haven’t tried that.

Regards,

Paul M. Novak

1990 Series III V12 Vanden Plas

1990 XJ-S Classic Collection convertible

1987 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1969 E-Type FHC

1957 MK VIII Saloon

Ramona, CA USA

Hi John,

Be cautious because that DVD does not contain the latest version of some documents, I also bougth it and for
instance the ROM is still the one with the HE on the jacket so reference is AKM 3455, while I have a paper copy which states AKM 3455 ed 4/3 which already includes the 6.0 too.

Maybe some other documents are not the latest either.

Regards,
Guy