I need some good news on the F type

Ive been reading a lot of bad comments about problems with the F type…clutch/oil/trans…give me some good news about the car…I like the V6…

1 Like

Mine is a 2014 3.0S, so a convertible with the V6. I bought it new.

It’s now got about 48,000 miles on the clock and it’s been perfectly reliable. I’ve had the following problems:

• The battery died in the first year. Very odd. Replaced on warranty, and no problems since. Perhaps a dud from the battery manufacturer?
  • The bypass valve in the exhaust system had to be replaced. The dealer found the problem (or perhaps it was a recall, I don’t remember), but I never noticed anything. Replaced on warranty, has worked fine since.
  • The filler neck for the gas tank had to be replaced, it was too restrictive. After multiple complaints, Jaguar finally agreed to fix the problem and replace it on their dime. I think the same problem applied to some other model too, perhaps the XF?
  • I had a weird bout of problems with the electronics, most notably that the transmission wouldn’t shift out of park after a warm restart of the car. The dealer told me to unplug the ODB II bluetooth adapter that I’d installed, and that instantly solved the problem. Ooops.

The only ongoing problems I have are that the center vent for the aircon isn’t opening fully anymore. It’s still trying, so I suspect it just needs a drop of oil. And also the onboard navigation is beyond bad. It’s not a question of updating the maps, it’s just slow and generally useless. I hope they put a better system in the newer models.

Please keep in mind, my car was one of the first delivered, of the first model year. All in all, not too bad. We’ve had more problems with other marques we’ve owned.

1 Like

I , too was keen on my due diligence before buying an F in the fall of 2020. The one I was interested in, a MY2017 base/Premium was a manual, a non-negotiable requirement. I have had a number of old British sports cars, and still have my 69 E type, so I am familiar with their idiosyncracies. I thought I read sufficiently on the F forums, but I missed the clutch saga. The selling dealer was upfront about having replaced the clutch (at 26,000 mi) which he dismissed as an incompetent previous owner. I asked for and received all the related parts orders and work orders. AFTER I bought the car, I found the stories here about the early clutches not even lasting long enough to get a new F home! Fortunately, the dealer had installed the most current clutch, so all good there. At 3.5 years old, the AGM battery died, but was replaced under warranty. I make sure the maintenance schedule is followed. My current JLR dealer has been great. Any concerns I have they are happy to check out. There have been other things replaced under warranty, PM me, if youd like the details. That said, Im in love with this car, the spiritual successor to my E. I was willing to let it go, if it wasnt right, but as soon as I sat in it, I knew it was going home with me. The form, the style, the performance is everything that I could have hoped for. Be sure to check the CARFAX for the service/accident history and join this forum. The knowledge base here is spectacular and wiiling to help. Plus, what you post may help someone else, as it has for me.

2 Likes

Sorry to dig up an Older post, but I am considering looking at these. My friend has a coupe and has had nothing but problems with it, but his car sits and is not regularly driven.

Any other issues associate with the F-Types?

Cheers
Dave

You can easily look for info here. Check out the section “known issues” at the top of this forum. With a 2017, my concerns wre the flanged heater pipes ( they split, leak and coolant damages engine components), the supercharger is “sealed” and the oil is “good for 100,000 miles”. . One of the pluses to my F was that it had 18 months of factory warranty left when I bought it. I worked with my dealer to get the pipes replaced as a warranty issue, and said I would pay for the SC oil change, since the SC has to come out to do the pipe replacement. A new water pump went in with the pipes and the otiginal SC developed issues and was also replaced under warranty. There have been posts about water getting into the engine area and rusting the injectors when the car’ s engine cover wss removed. Mine has been running well, but it gets driven and doesn’t sit. You dont say what year your friend’s coupe is, but many “issues” are battery related when the battery isn’t at peak form.
Its hard to generalize, as all cars have issues. Figure out what year and model you want, find some, check the CarFax and go from there. Relying on a certified pre-owned certification doesn’t always guarantee a good car either, as there have been posts saying that CPO varies from dealer to dealer. Also check out extended warranties. I have a “reserves for replacement” savings acct where I “insure myself” for possible future repairs instead. Be wiiling to walk away from a car that doesn’t seem right, and use this forum as a resource.

2 Likes

I’ve had one more issue since I wrote the above post.

Earlier this year, the car suddenly wouldn’t start after I’d stopped at a gas station. I pressed the Start button and the rev counter went through the motions (the needle swung up to 7k, then back down to zero) but the starter didn’t engage. Not even a click from the solenoid. Lots of juice in the battery.

Turned out it was a bad ground connection at the starter. That’s the first and only time in 8 years of ownership that the car has left me stranded.

Maybe I’ve just been lucky, but I have no complaints. Especially for a low-volume car like this.

1 Like

I like the new F-type, and when the prices drop to what I would consider a bargain, I will give one a try. Buying used is not a bad approach to a Jaguar of any vintage, as all the problems have probably been addressed and all you have to do is get a very good inspection and some history of the car. Best history? The previous owner. This can tell you a great deal. The looks and the performance is intoxicating, and I have read a number of reviews. I have three Jaguars now, and may jump at one of these.

1 Like

You should! Driving the F-Type S on the bendy, twisty bits, with the exhaust fully open, is great fun.

And you can use it as a reliable daily driver as well. Best of both worlds.

1 Like

I looked them up after your article, and they come in 4,6 and 8 configurations, and I’m thinking they all look pretty much alike, so maybe grab the first nice one you come across and give it an honest try. Let’s face it, the looks grab you about these cars.

Perfect. Great thoughts, gang. I appreciate the input. They’re great looking cars for sure.

Cheers
Dave

1 Like