I need some good news on the F type

Mine is a 2014 3.0S, so a convertible with the V6. I bought it new.

It’s now got about 48,000 miles on the clock and it’s been perfectly reliable. I’ve had the following problems:

• The battery died in the first year. Very odd. Replaced on warranty, and no problems since. Perhaps a dud from the battery manufacturer?
  • The bypass valve in the exhaust system had to be replaced. The dealer found the problem (or perhaps it was a recall, I don’t remember), but I never noticed anything. Replaced on warranty, has worked fine since.
  • The filler neck for the gas tank had to be replaced, it was too restrictive. After multiple complaints, Jaguar finally agreed to fix the problem and replace it on their dime. I think the same problem applied to some other model too, perhaps the XF?
  • I had a weird bout of problems with the electronics, most notably that the transmission wouldn’t shift out of park after a warm restart of the car. The dealer told me to unplug the ODB II bluetooth adapter that I’d installed, and that instantly solved the problem. Ooops.

The only ongoing problems I have are that the center vent for the aircon isn’t opening fully anymore. It’s still trying, so I suspect it just needs a drop of oil. And also the onboard navigation is beyond bad. It’s not a question of updating the maps, it’s just slow and generally useless. I hope they put a better system in the newer models.

Please keep in mind, my car was one of the first delivered, of the first model year. All in all, not too bad. We’ve had more problems with other marques we’ve owned.

1 Like