I see many XK-Jaguars sporting painted wire wheels in red

I see a number of XK-120 and 140’s with red painted wire wheels. I have also seen used wires in the red as well. Was the red painted wire wheel a common option back in the 1950’s? I actually like the look on most cars and have grown quire weary of the bright chrome wires on many restorations (…even worse with wide white-wall tires.) Any thoughts on this. Also, if this was a factory option, is there a particular shade of red that was used? Thanks,

Tom A

As I recall, Porter says wires could be had in silver or body color, with chrome becoming available later on.
So red wheels would be the standard red color on the color charts.
http://www.jag-lovers.org/brochures/

I’ve seen quite some wire wheels in red that correspond to the interior colour rather than the body colour.
XK 120s in “Cream” (Old English White) with red interior look rather good with the wires in the same (darker) red. See example on pic. This might also stem from the pre-war tradition of having red wheels with other body colours.

Bob K.

1 Like

Boy, what a great look. Are those 15" rims or do I need to clean the Castrol off my reading glasses?

Gary,

Don’t know much about the car, other than the information provided in XKData. It says that this was originally a May 1954 built XK 120 DHC (chassis # 667256) that later has been modified to become an XK 120 OTS racer. Don’t know whether the rims are 15" but in any case the car has been lowered.

Bob K.

Another famous 120, with red wheels…:smirk:

Handsome bald guy on the right is Pops Wigton.

1 Like

Paul, well this is a new photo love to get a good hi res copy if possible
thanks terry tmcgrath@bigpond.com

I’ll see if I can get it drum scanned: I do not possess the negative.

Thanks greatly terry

Dad chose the Pepsi-cola truck’s paint scheme, because… why not?
Red wheels

1 Like

Welcome!

Where was this photo taken?

Great Photo, … .the red-wires just look “right” on the XK’s.
I considered the red wires for my XK-140 (…having painted its original Grey with Suede Green interior.),
however with the Suede Green I don’t think the red will work. …too much like Christmas.

Tom A

1 Like

Paul,

Was your photo taken in 1963 or later?

Regards,

Bob K.

I believe that photo is from 1959 or so.