I think this is very bad news

Ron, here are a few pics of an original S2 switch. Dont know if it is the same as yours.
But you can see there is a spring of the same size on both sides of the brass disc.

Ron, it seems to be the same switch as mine? I took mine apart. There is a large washer on the closed side of the nylon pin, installed towards the contacts, and a smaller one on the inside, installed towards the metal housing. Both sides have pins fitting the springs. Do you have the oddformed brass flaps in place?

Thanks! I will try again this week. Appreciate the pics.

I am gonna bite the bullet and fashion a copper disc to fit properly. I have been using a brash washer and a tiny tab of crazy glue to hold it to the plastic disc. I have the proper springs installed and the plastic disc, so I will let you know. BTW, I had to remove the plastic piece from Marek and file it down on the inside bore so it would turn easier. It was so tight, even with grease that all I could envision was the small plastic pieces breaking off. Turns a bit freer now.
By the way Bob, how long had that switch been in place!!! It’s got a nice patina going on with the copper contacts…:slight_smile:

LOL… I dont really know! It belongs to a friend, probably a long long time tho, it was foul. the weird thing is/was, the plastic dish was the opposite from the way Martins is. I suspect his is correct after looking closer at the old one I took apart. I have a NOS signal in my “vault” but after fumbling with all the stupid springs and brass wipers I am afraid to open the new one!
But I did assemble this one both ways and it didnt seem to change the operation of the light flasher function.

Bob

OK no guarantee mine is the right way around. It popped off at disassembly. Mine has to be fitted as in the picture to bridge the two contacts in the recessed part between the screwholes.

Ron, it might be your switch is missing two springs. Look at my collage picture, the top left shows the two funnyshaped brass bridge flaps (they are of different sizes) mounted with springs. On your picture of these, they sit way too low and without the springs underneath?

Martin,
I have those two springs and I made the outer brass piece, mine was missing. It was the reason 25 years ago that my blinkers worked, but the two lights on the dash did not. I figured it was a missing ground!!! (Like every other thread I read on this post, LOL) Once I fashioned that brass ‘U’ shape and cut a ball point pen spring to the correct length, everything worked! Then I lost that plastic ring that cancels the blinker circuit and so I took it all apart again. Can’t figure out how it worked before. I am going to solder the center of the brash washer and then drill it to fit on the plastic tit. I will do the same for the other side of the plastic washer with a smaller brass washer.
Keep your fingers crossed.

Is it just my imagination or is this switch an engineered nightmare??? If the hole in the washer is large enough to fit over the small plastic tit in the middle of the plastic disc, then the washer can slide down the spring and make contact! Without the hole in the copper washer, it won’t sit down on the plastic disc!!! I figure I will drill a hole in the disc just small enough to fit over the plastic tit in the disc. Same on both sides. I have no idea what the copper disc is for on the back side of the disc. No need for it unless it’s to add strength to the plastic disc.
I’ll get there! How the heck did I accomplish this before, 25 years ago, working while sitting in the car???!!!
Ron

Success!
I soldered the hole closed in the brass washer and then drilled a hole just large enough to fit the plastic tit on the disc. I put all together and it didn’t work!!! It was obvious that the washer was not making contact with the two contacts. I finally figured what did I have to lose? I cut the spring that resides in the recess. I only took off approximately 20% of the length with diagonal cutters. Put the switch back together and, Houston, we have liftoff!!!
I also took the plastic ring back out and sanded down the groove so that it turned a little more freely.
Thanks to all on this website that gave suggestions and pics!
Ron

2 Likes

OK, folks. I went to put the switch back in my car, thought I took good notes on where the wires came from, but I think you all know where this is going. I have attached a list of the wires hanging in the general locale of my switch. Also, two red wires that are attached to my emergency flasher control are just hanging in the wind!!! I have also taken some pics of before and after. This is before I pulled the wires for the switch to come out of the car…

The second picture is the color code of the wires from the switch…

Brown - High current for headlights
Green with Thin Red Stripe
Green with White Stripe
Green with Thick Red Stripe
Green with Blue Stripe
Blue and Yellow Fabric - High Current for Headlights
Green with Yellow Stripe
Black

I can probably work out the switch wires, but don’t know where the two red wires for the emergency flasher go…

I just saw the answer to part of my question in one of the original pics I took. The red wire from the hazard switch goes to the double connector with the green-white stripe wire. Makes sense since that is what the wiring diagrams show. This passes voltage to the front and rear turn signals, using them for emergency flashers. Need to go back and check the wiring diagram, but my bet will be there is a double connector on the green -red stripe wire for the other half of the turn signal bulbs…
Ron

Success!!! OK, Here’s how it went down…
Thank God I wrote down the wires that went into the 5x5 wire connector. The high current wires were both in that bundle.
Blue/Yellow Fabric to Blue Yellow Fabric Faded in the connector
Brown Faded Fabric to Purple in the connector (process of elimination, only large wire left!)
Green and Yellow Wire to Black and White Stripe in connector
Green Wire to Black and Red Stripe in connector
NOTE - Without me having written the last two down, there would have been no clue!!!
Separate Connectors
Black from switch to black connector
Green and White Stripe to Dual Connector Green and White Stripe - Emergency Flasher Red Wire to other side of this connector.
Green and Red Stripe to Dual Connector Green and Red Stripe - Emergency Flasher Red Wire to other side of this connector.
Green thin Red stripe to single connector with green thin red stripe.

Put the voltage to it and tried all possible combinations. Worked! Emergency Flashers, worked! Head Light Flashers, worked!!!
With the new plastic ring from Marek, I know that the turn signals will now reset as well.
Thanks to all who contributed photos and thoughts.
Ron Brook

3 Likes

Marek,
Thank you! The turn signal is back together, wired up and working, in no small measure to you supplying a part that is nowhere else to be found. Thank God I labled the wires that went into the 5x5 rubber connector. They were not color coordinated at all!!! The rest were fine and I was able with a wiring schematic to figure out where the emergency flasher power wires went. Thank you again.
Regards,
Ron Brook
Medford, NJ, USA