I want to do a muffler delete, I have many questions

I want to do a muffler delete on my XJSC, just two, the rears. But how do I go about this? A friend of mine has a shop and said he could do it but there are things I need to know, like what is the length of the muffler, and do I need to have the same diameter of the pipe when I do a delete? If anyone here has done a delete please tell me how you did it as I would love to learn how I do it. Thanks.

I deleted the mid mufflers and left the rear mufflers.

Mid mufflers are more restrictive and easier to delete.

1 Like

I would have thought it was just a case of throwing it on a hoist, remove the mufflers, replace with the size of pipe that mates up to the remaining pipe and decide what to do about the tips. The length he needs to make will be determined by what he removes.
That’s what I used to do when I had my w’shop.

Delete the middle silencers, there are plenty of folks selling this straight through pipes, I did this to my V12 and the rasp is lovely!!

Greg,
Can you tell how far louder the exhaust become?

Got delete mid-silencer delete kit getting dusty, not sure how it will collaborate with non-genuine end mufflers that seems to be slighly louder and lighter thank genuine versions…

Ok, I had no idea where to even start so this helps thanks

Also changed my mind, will do mids

went from sounding like a pffooosshhhh to an actual muffler sound. Not terribly loud, but definitely audible. Can hear a nice low sound at idle.

Centre box delete with stainless rear boxes should sound like an expensive speed boot burbling in harbour!

I have yet to replace my rear OEM mufflers and over axles.

My wife says new wood interior paneling, I say stainless rear boxes and over axles.

I can live another year with the worn out wood :slight_smile:

Hence my question, OEM rear mufflers are twice heavier than replacement ones I’ve got, you can also notice that velovity of the gasses at exit is much much greater, almost like replacement ones are straight thru… Either design is different or OEM ones are holding 30+ years of oily poop…
Just don’t want to wake up my neighbours every time in the morning :wink: