I want to move the fuel filter

I want to move the fuel filter to the front… it will fit nicely under the right hand air cleaner in the hose, can anyone see a problem in doing this

It can get hotter there, but, no. Older jaguars had the filter under the bonnet and they only moved with EFI.

1 Like

I would be weary of having it there, due to any kind of leak dripping down onto a hot catalytic converter.

1 Like

That would be a definite concern. It would also increase the risk of the fuel boiling at hot starts.

1 Like

True. That’s where mine is. I had to devise a new mounting arrangement when I retrofitted an HE rail, but it still in the same place. See my write-up on the retrofit.

1 Like

Just curious, what’s wrong with trunk inside spare tire? I think that’s a great place.

1 Like

The filter in the trunk is a good-sized filter. The fuel line that appears in the engine compartment is 3/8 inch, which then changes to 5/16 inch. The filter you choose will have to withstand the pressure of fuel injection, will have fuel circulating through it all the time, which means you will have to change it more often, and will be a good candidate for heat-soak when you shut down the engine. My 2c!

2 Likes

Not a good idea…leave it in trunk

2 Likes

I put an auxiliary inline fuel filter in that location.

1 Like

The story of my smelly trunk after years of trying I think I have found it, I have done every thing from fitting a brand new tank, soldering all the flow and return pipes into the tank, tested the sump tank. all the hoses are correct low permeation, I have taken the vapour separator off and fitted a direct to atmosphere breather, in doing this a found out that there are two breathers not connected internally that need to be joined into a single pipe. the fuel filter when parked for weeks on end pressurised, in the winter, blows small amounts of fuel out and contaminates the spongy hose covering that fits over the pipes from the pump to the floor exit. I was thinking of fitting the filter under the hood, but have changed my mind and will now ( being as the whole system is virtually brand new and clean) fit a small glass and metal cleanable 40 micron in line filter *below the sump tank, it will arrive today, *easy to access and service, fingers crossed

1 Like

Assuming a pre-facelift, the filter in the sump tank protects the pump and the alloy filter behing the spare wheel protects the injectors and is a very fine micron filter.

I would be worried that a replacement may not be able to filter to a sufficient degree nor take the pressures involved.

1 Like

The filter is 40 microns rated which, with the other filter in the sump, is fine its also made to be cleaned and made for injection, the system is rust free and only doing around 1500 miles a year I will risk it. If I can eradicate the stink it will be worth it and the spare wheel can stay put when maintenance is required.

1 Like

I eliminated the sump tsnk and put a filter in its place. …please post results about smell if anything changes

will do scrimbo…

Well, that’s gonna stink for all eternity!

Internally to what? I don’t understand that whole description.

You’ve found a leak. Why don’t you just fix the leak?

hi Kirbert1

the tank is divided internally to make two halfs hence 2 two breathers, or my sng Barrett one is. and 1 return from the separator

why? I have never owned a car that has these separators fitted and the tank in the trunk with atmosphere breathers that stinks of fuel. so why will this?

[quote=“Kirbert, post:15, topic:374540”]
You’ve found a leak. Why don’t you just fix the leak?
[/quote
fed up with superfluous plumbing and heavy space savers, I want easy access for monitoring the filter, I am also fitting a switch so I can switch the pump on and off to leave an unpressurised system (also security when parked away from home)

The tank in my '83 was baffled but not divided in two. And it had, like, 4 or 5 vent connections.

Here’s a thought. Pretend you’ve had a crash, and trip the inertia switch. That should shut off your fuel pump, and prevent theft.

I have 3, 2 air and one return all I know is when I connected just one breather and blanked 2 off the one I blanked off only served the r.h side as when half fall it still had pressure when I removed the filler cap, now there joined together they don’t and the blanked off one now is the return from the vapour canister

there are only so many times you can have a rear ender, :smiley::fire_extinguisher:
n.b I now have a trunk that smells of clean carpet and doesn’t cut out the filler at any fuel pump