Identification of aluminium radiator - Fit to a SII?

Hello,

In the lot of parts I acquired years ago, was an aluminium radiator. I was told it would fit my SII with a small modification.

On inspection, it looks in reasonable condition, a few fins need a littlle adjusting and I am wondering:

• Is it a SIII radiator?
  • Will this SIII radiator fit my SII? It seems I will need to block one small pipe in the bottom left.
  • There seems to be a temperature sensor on the right side. Would I be able to use this as a switch for the electric fans I intend to fit?

Thank you.

Google Photos

Google Photos

Google Photos

Google Photos

Yes, Eric - but verify that it switches at the desisred temp…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

1 Like

What temperature would that be so I can test it?

It reminds me quite a bit of the unit we pulled out of a s3 and couldn’t get a good flow through.

Have a competent shop flow-test it before installing.

At the very least, lay it flat on some some saw horses, put a garden hose in lower port and see how much water flows across (out the upper hose connection). It should handle everthing a 1/2" hose can deliver.

1 Like

Eric,
Attached is a picture of the DAC3061 Thermostat that I removed from the radiator in my 1987 XJ6 parts car. It has “91C” stamped on it as shown in the picture.

I have tested a few of these thermostats over the past 20 years or so after I removed a radiator and they always tested good and closed reasonably close to the 91C. I tested them on the stove in a pot of water with digital and analog thermometers. They seem to be very reliable to me.

Paul

1 Like

I had a cooling problem in our 1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas 10 or 12 years ago where the coolant temperature was regularly around 100-110C but the auxiliary cooling fan did not come on. The fan and Thermostat both tested good but the radiator was badly clogged restricting flow. The shop showed me how clogged the tubes were and I had the radiator recored. After I reinstalled everything the cooling system ran much cooler and then the auxiliary cooling fan typically came on when the coolant temperature gauge read about 95C, usually on hot days or in traffic with the A/C on.

Paul

1 Like

91°C roger that. Thank you!

Check marking, Eric - and verify that it operates at the spec temp…

Of course, as Paul says; the cooling is as good as the radiator - and thermostat…

Frank

1 Like

It shows a 91°C rating. But it is cracked at the back and the circuit closes when immersed in water regardless if temperature. I guess it is shot.

I second your guess, Eric - and it is more than a guess…:slight_smile:

Frank

1 Like

So, things did not go as planned.

The locating pins of the aluminum radiator are in a different spot than the OEM radiator, so I would need to drill more holes in both the bottom rail and the top rail…

Go back to the OEM radiator?? :frowning:

Here is the aluminum one on top of the OEM one.

What is wrong about the original radiator, Eric?

Once cleaned and, maybe, rodded, it’ll work just fine. - If not, something else may be amiss, not to be cured by more cooling capacity. If you’ve got a fever, you’ll treat the infection, but won’t bring more ice cold beer, will you? -

Plus, all connections are where they are supposed to be and will fit with correct tubes, bolts. Is that just too boring? :slight_smile:

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

1 Like

Yeah well, oem may be too “boring” :slight_smile:

The aluminum one is so much lighter. The OEM one needs cleaning, painting…

So? Get out the drill!

1 Like

Rodding is a brutal process. Most older cores will not withstand it. so, many shops discourage it or just refuse to do it. Comebacks an issue. i

A recore is next but not cheap. And some cores are not that good. Fins per inch lacking.

And if one lives in a hot clime, the jaguar radiator in top shape needed. Anything less will not survive.

If the hose connections are OK and the trans cooler is not in the tank, that would be my vote…

Although in 2001, I chose a four row brass unit over an alloy option… New, n

It cool perfectly. Not a recore… Engine hed to 90 C to 100 C at all times…

Carl.

Eric!
Here is my 2 cent worth, many years ago I went to a local
radiator shop ,they added some fin area to my radiator at
that time.
I have never had any problems with my cooling system after
30 years,
I flush my cooling system through with cleaner every 2 years.

Walter

And so the radiator is in finally after drilling some holes.
I now have to make up brackets to fit the AC condenser and the oil cooler.

2 Likes