Idle issue on '67 4.2 2+2 Automatic

I have a '67 4.2 2+2 automatic which seems to run and drive pretty nicely. One issue though is sometimes it idles too high or if you press the gas to rev the engine while in park it doesn’t come back to a lower idle and makes it painful to put into drive. it is possible to open the bonnet and push done this wire using the lever its hooked up to. Any thoughts ? Is there a spring I can change or missing or ???
thanks and stay safe,
Dan

Isn’t that the kickdown link that you have circled in the photo? It shouldn’t have anything to do with your idle problem. What carbs and intake manifold do you have on your car? There should be no tension on your throttle linkage at the carbs when you have your foot off the pedal at idle. First verify that you have a scant bit of free-play in the linkage at the carbs at idle such that the butterfly in each carb can be adjusted with the idle speed screw before they open via the throttle linkage. I could NEVER get Strombergs to idle consistently for long or in actual daily use…I went to SUs and never looked back. I have triple SUs on my 2+2, and dual SUs on my OTS and many, many, many miles without touching them.

Dan there can be a number or reasons why this is happening. You need to eliminate any sticking points or mis-adjustments in the linkage first. Second if you have a parts catalogue take a look at plate 10 p 45 (my catalogue) and you will see a spring #5 that attaches the accelerator drop link to the body. That needs to be there. Sometime in 1967 - 68 Jaguar installed a hairpin type spring inside the housing assembly for the drop link and stopped using the earlier spring. The new spring doesn’t work as well as the old, or is missing or wrongly installed, and in my experience leads to problems like you’ve described. If you don’t have the earlier spring set up I’d put one in. Your drop link is drilled for it.

also check that your motor mounts on the intake side have not pancaked, since that with cause some binding of the throttle linkage.

everyone - thanks for the help and will start checking. Terry where can I get your catalog ??
thanks
Dan

Dan my catalogue is a repro of Jaguars parts catalogue for the Ser I E Type coupe. It’s commonly available - I got mine from JCNA bookstore, but I suspect if you Google it there will be many sources for it.

thanks ! I have all the parts suppliers catalogs but not the official jag parts catalog. any chance you could send me a picture of the page you are referring to please ?
thanks
Dan

This is the page from SNG’s online parts catalogue. The spring in number 5. You need to make a small bracket the attach the end of the spring to the car.

https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#/US/FindParts/Families/E-Type%20~2F%20XKE/3/E-Type%20S1%204.2%20FHC/82/ENGINE/3197/assembly/21383

thank you !
Be safe
Dan