Idler pulley disconnected

John,

Welcome! I don’t think I have any original ideas (and that is a general statement, not just specific to this topic…:grinning:) . It does seem to be a tight fit, and needs to be - i.e. a longer belt may slip. As Geo suggests, job one is to get the idle pulley out of the equation. Tie it so it is fully back. Then if you can’t get the belt on try to bump it on. Be VERY CAREFUL when you do this. No fingers anywhere near when you bump it. In the past at least one forum member had a nasty accident doing this. Good luck.

Thanks for your help about tying idler, along with daylight, cut hands, and more persistence I got it on. Wow shouldn’t have been that big of a project. The picture of your great looking motor showed it all. Got it in yet? John bill wilder in austin Tx.

Thanks for your reply. It helped me out after I determined with the rotation of motor with the first try. :roll_eyes: Could have used a helper. You guys are great.

John,
Glad to hear that you got it done! As for the “great looking motor”, it’s been installed since 2011 (it was an old photo), and has done 25K+ miles since. It doesn’t look so great any more though. Lots of oil leaks have seen to that when combined with road grime from all those miles. Still runs fine though, and oil is cheap…

1 Like

Or you can remove the four bolts holding the water pump pulley onto the pump flange and ease the pulley off the flange, which will allow enough slack to place the belt onto the pump pulley and then slide the pulley with belt back onto the pump flange and replace the four bolts. This method avoids any stress on the belt resulting from jumping and forcing it over the edge of the pulley.

You must have the idler pulley fully retracted to give the belt maximum slack.

Sorry, edited as just noticed you have a different set up with 2 belts…

Thanks I tried that. :grinning: then I noticed the alternator pulley.wouldnt go go due to the cross support. I can’t remember what try that was. Also I had difficulties getting water pump holes aligned. Too focused ,tired cut p o ed and a down a few thirst quenchers to notice initially. It actually became a tad humorous to myself and hoped no one was watching into my driveway. I thought this might be a 30 minute job. Maybe all of this will help another poor old soul. Appreciate all you guys. Jw

Just a thought for the next guy. A drift or a 1/4 inch stud could be used to align the other 3 bolt holes to install the W/P pulley.

Keep smiling
Mike

Just tossing in, my 69 has a double illy crank, but it was an AC car. I don’t think the AC ran off the crank though. Had two idlers. Now none.