Ignition issue - continual weak spark

I do not understand your logic nor terminology.

What does modulator comprise in an ignition system.

Its the component which replicates the pointsā€¦it sends the signal to spark to the rotor arm

Its a s1 1966 4.2
I donā€™t understand what the ā€˜spark boxā€™ refers to?

Normally two parts replace the points, a pickup or sensor and a switching device or amplifier. All you need now is a coil. Try the powerspark coil with the points distributor. The points will do the job with any coil almost.

Follow what others have said, YOUR COIL , does it have an internal ballast? Go with a 3.0 t start or 1.5 if they suggest.
If not, it could be a faulty module or spark box/amplifier.
Ive moved way past all thatā€¦Just get a 1 2 3 and your done for life. So farā€¦
GTJOEY1314

Whatā€™s a 1 2 3? 20 characters

Its the name of the supplier who produces the electronic distributorā€¦
1 2 3 is the name of the company .
Good luck
gtjoey1314

Powerspark is a Pertronix knock-off, the entire module fits inside the cap. No separate amplifier. I think he already verified the coil with a points distributor.

The ballast issue is just noise, thereā€™s no ballast for a 1966 with stock wiring. There are basically three different Viper coils: 3 ohm, 1.5 ohm, and .8 ohm. The Powerspark module requires a minimum 1.3 ohm coil. For longevity, the 3 ohm coil would probably be best.

From which fuse are you now drawing power?

Fuse 7ā€¦donā€™t tell me theres an issue with that choice? :slightly_smiling_face:

Earlier entry said points were tried with a coil that was not part of the Powerspark system. Because that worked he deemed the PS coil defective. Again, I do not get the logic behind this.

Made way more complex than need be. The combined pickup/amp is obviously the culprit.

Points were not tried with original Lucas coil. PS distributor and shared power pickup produced the same symptoms. The only successful arrangement has been a separate power pick up for the modulatorā€¦so conclusion is that the 3ohm dry resin PS supplied coil is causing the issueā€¦
Iā€™m not an electrician, but I now have a set up which works and have had no useful support from Powerspark. Down the lineā€¦I may swap the coil, distributor and leads with another brand, but first, I have a rebuild to crack on with

Sounds like a good plan. Buddy of mine put the 123 in a series 2 E and was very happy with it. He is a seasoned mechanic with lots of Brit auto experience.

I donā€™t think thereā€™s a problem with either part, but rather, the combination thatā€™s at fault. When you extended the connection to the fuse panel, did you change the connectors on the wiring?

(Correct term is module, not modulator, BTW)

Noā€¦same connectors