Ignition key barrel replacement

I would appreciate any guidance on the easiest way to remove and replace the barrel of the ignition key on my 67 dhc.

Right now the barrel is very wiggly and I can even remove the key and the car continues to run. Replacement is in order.

Hi Vlad. I have recently done same, to replace the ignition switch. It is covered in the ROM. Undo the external nut, disconnect wiring and remove switch from dash. At the rear of the unit there is a hole: have to insert a probe to push on a detent allowing the barrel to come forward and out. Might be a good time to look at ignition contacts. All aboveGood luck Paul.

For a 62 series 1. Paul

Ah! Looked for hole, found an imprint that says CHINA.
What do you think that means? :frowning:

I’ll say it…junk replacement!..……

Any thoughts on: get a new one from XKs or a possibly original from eBay?

1 Like

Mine was shorting out I cleaned it and greased it . It works fine now but I bought an
extra for future use.

here is the link

I’m really reluctant to post this but what the heck.

There are generic alternatives such as:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/bwd-3123/agriculture-hd-parts---accessories-19818/fleet---heavy-duty-20088/battery---electrical-20106/switches---ignition--universal--20237/6b6e54f6ccd5/bwd-ignition-lock-and-cylinder-switch/cs221/2593194/1961/jaguar/xke?pos=17

I’m not recommending this, just offering it for informational purposes.

Ignition switch…

Ahhh… so it appears that something changed in 1967, about 300 cars after mine was made. Hence the confusing catalog numbers and eBay alternatives.
Looks like Jag went from five terminals to four terminals. Weird, since the original five were in two clusters - with two and three leads on same pins - so technically short-circuited within each cluster, so really a TWO terminal would have worked as well - say, a wall switch :slight_smile
Ordered new one from XK. We’ll see…

My car is a 68 with the ignition switch on the steering column. Years ago when my original switch fried I replaced it with Lucas 34680. It came in orange Lucas box from Birmingham that I still have since I do not throw anything that might be original away. It was much more substantial feeling and better quality looking than the fried one I pulled out of the car that looks similar to Benny’s photo above. It has been trouble free for 10+ years now. I am looking at the XK’s catalog and looks like the counterpart for the 67 is 34679 so maybe it would be similar quality if it is a real Lucas part.

David
68 E-type FHC

I’ll second what Benny says. Mine was not shorting but opened suddenly while driving, engine shut off at 70 mph, wiggled the key, it started with a huge backfire then quit again with the same sequence of events. Took the switch apart, cleaned and lubed when I got home, never failed again.
pauls

Recently my car stalled, it had no power at all.It turned out I had a loose wire at the ignition switch. inadvertently I jiggled the wires and I got power. After fixing the connections so far all is good.
Benny

They can make an bomb-proof engine but can’t make a simple on-off switch?
I’m off to Home Depot…

Hi Where is the best place/company to order replacement barrel . I am a new comer
best regards to all . Ron

Welcome Ron…… try Auto Electrical spares in Uk …. They have both keys and barrels and complete switches …. Be aware that they will not be original Lucas parts but repros sold as Lucas by licence

Ron,
Welcome! I was already a Jag-Lovers member when I got my 1969 E-Type Fixed Head Coupe in 2002. Some members were here long before that.

This is an international list so that answer might depend on where you live. This list also primarily covers the original E-Types as built from 1961 to 1974 and I believe that the ignition switch changed over time. I recommend that you include your year and model E-Type in your posts as that will help others help you. It will also help prevent replies with incorrect information when others try to guess what year and model you are asking about, or what continent you live on, and guess wrong.

Paul

1 Like

Hi Paul, cheers Its a 1969 2 seater FHC 4.2 , originally from the USA , Thats all i can tell .
The key that i have is Taylor with J81J on in the original casting of the key so this gives no clue as to any code , I will strip the lock apart tomorrow to see if any code can be found ,
Ihave sourced correct keys on Ebay but locksmiths need a code . other than that perhaps a new barrel?

Keepsafe Ron.

Ron,
I have the Jaguar Parts Catalogues for my three Jaguars and have found them to be worth their weight in gold in solving simple mysteries like this. I have a USA market 1969 E-Type FHC that does not have a steering column lock. According to page C5 of my Spare Parts Catalogue for the Series II E-Type the part number for the Ignition Switch is C28522 and the Locking Barrel for the Ignition Switch is BD10610 for cars without a steering column lock. That should get you started.
I regularly purchase parts for my Jaguars from Moss Motors in California, SNG Barratt in New Hampshire, and Welsh Enterprises in Ohio as well an assortment of other suppliers. Usually one or more of those suppliers have what I need.

Paul

Ron,
I have the Jaguar Parts Catalogues for my three Jaguars and have found them to be worth their weight in gold in solving simple mysteries like this. I have a USA market 1969 E-Type FHC that does not have a steering column lock. According to page C5 of my Spare Parts Catalogue for the Series II E-Type the part number for the Ignition Switch is C28522 and the Locking Barrel for the Ignition Switch is BD10610 for cars without a steering column lock. That should get you started.
I regularly purchase parts for my Jaguars from Moss Motors in California, SNG Barratt in New Hampshire, and Welsh Enterprises in Ohio as well an assortment of other suppliers. Usually one or more of those suppliers have what I need.

Paul

Welcome Ron…… try Auto Electrical spares in Uk …. They have both keys and barrels and complete switches …. Be aware that they will not be original Lucas parts but repros sold as Lucas by licence