Ignition key code syntax xj6 s1 1969

Hi,

does anyone know the code syntax for the ignition key for a xj6 4.2l s1 1969?

I have lost my keys. In search for replacement keys, I found a handwritten code on a sticker right on the lock somewhat like D8/7 or D8-7.

Could this be the key code? Someone said to me, that it might be a D followed by a 4-digit number…

Thank you for your inputs.

I can’t answer your question on codes, but I’ve found that a good locksmith can figure out the key cut on older cars.

On my '76 I did not receive the trunk and glove box key, and the locking gas caps had been replaced with newer models for which I also did not receive the key. My local locksmith fiddled a bit and perfectly figured out the key cuts in both cases. Didn’t charge me much either: $48

If the code is right on the sticker, I do not have to pull out the ignition lock barrel and bring it to a locksmith. That’s why I am asking…

I do not know if that is the key code or not - why don’t you contact a locksmith and see if they can decode the key cut from the “code” that you have.

Yes, sorta. A lot depends on the skill and willingness of the locksmith. Not the guy on the machine at the hardware store.

Decades back, I busted the key off in in the ignition lock in my old IHC Scout. In a parking lot. Still in run. I jumped the starter and got it running. Off to the locksmith. Been in town for decades. That was decades ago. still there!!

A diamond edge hole saw cut the retaining ring and freed the cylinder. Fishing around found that an AMC code was fine as a blank. Cut, me a pair and replaced the lock. Worked better than ever. I do not recall the price. It was reasonable,
and I was more than pleased. I dodged one…
Pre cell phone and tow insurance days!!!

Same shop helped me with a duplicate key for my new switch for the Jaguar I got via David Boger.

The old switch just plain wore out…

I’d think of that solution… It fixed a lot of odd issues…

Carl

This locksmith Pete Groh in Maryland has done business with some on the XK forum including me.
http://britishcarkeys.com/index.html
http://britishcarkeys.com/keyinformation.html

took one out years ago on a S1 XJ, using a sharp prick punch which will indent the 2 special screws and you can work them undone by tapping around using punch and hammer, column stayed in place

I know it is too late this time, but I always get 2 spare sets cut, and tape a set in an inconspicuous location on the suspension, that way if you ever loose them you are not stranded

That’s been my experience on the ignition key(s). as far as the doors, on nearly all of my XJ’s the doors can be unlocked with a Popsicle stick. I just don’t get how people could seriously destroy a lock. I’ve got American Cars much older than my oldest XJ6; and all of the locks are in proper working order. The XJ6’s are all destroyed. Not so on the XJS… Hmmm…

I used a house “wire nut”. A small sized one. Just the right taper to fir the shoulder of the Jaguar break away. I drilled a hole in the nut from the side, in which to insert a nail for leverage. Easy. Access was more difficult. jut fiddly.

I used Allen heads to secure the new switch.

There is a pocket under the left wing for the spare key!!!

Mine was empty. PO there I suppose.

Carl

One of the reasons door lock fails, Mark - is that ignition key is used to unlock the doors…:slight_smile:

Once force is used on a lock it is ruined and can be opened with anything. On my 85 all locks are working perfectly - touch wood…

On newer cars door and ignition keys etc are identical - don’t know about the XJS…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)