Ignition key location

1971 S2 4.2 OTS, LHD

My ignition key is on the right side of the radio and about an inch down below the tuning knob, rather than on the steering tube. Does anybody know if this came from the factory, or a “home made” location?

Jerry

Jerry,
The Series 2 was equiped with a steering lock. Therefore the ingition/steering lock is mounted to the steering column, I least mine was. The Series 1 had a ignition switch in the middle of the centre flip down panel.
So, yes I believe it is a ‘home made’and possibly because of the difficulty obtaining the correct switch or the cost of a new one at the time.
Regards
Chris

Thanks Chris, I couldn’t bring myself to hit the “heart” button :slightly_smiling_face:

Jerry
My fathers E 1969 had its ignition switch located about where you describe. My 70 has it on the steering column as should your 71. It could be possible your car was delivered to a different country where requirements were different?

Glenn

Thanks Glenn,

It appears that the general consensus is that it should be on the column as you indicate. The car was delivered to New York for sale.

Jerry