Ignition problems is megasquirt the answer?

You’re probably right. But still, I tend to think of MS as an option for someone who really understands this stuff, no for someone who just wants to get his car on the road. Even if the EFI is the problem I suspect fixing it would be far easier and cheaper than MS.

1 Like

I think they say the because at some point Crane got tired of dealing with the V12 Q&A stuff. It’s been some time now, you could still find the kits with he 12-slot disks, and that’s all you need.

1 Like

Steve,
The advance won’t cause it not to spark. If the trigger board is working, the amplifier, is working, the coil is good, the cap is good, it will spark while cranking.
Ed

crane for 12 cylinder is not available any more - they sold to another
company

I know Crane was absorbed by another company which quietly removed the 12-cylinder reference in the ads, perhaps to reduce the product support burden. But the product was still shipped with a 12-slot disk after they made that change. I haven’t searched recently, but even if they stopped putting the 12 slot disk in new shipments, there might be some old ones around.

Ed

For someone with a decent 3D printer, that would be a doddle to recreate!

I have asked whether the new xr700’s include a 12 cylinder rotor but there is no customer service response other than what is the part number

I have also checked to find other makers with no luck.
If anyone out there knows where to get something that will work and is not to expensive please let me know

So I have now found an electronic unit from Pertronics that is for the 12 cylinder jag engine Lu-112A

Does anyone have any experience with this unit?

I still think it’d be simpler and better to just upgrade to the Lucas CEI ignition.

– Kirbert

I am in the process of Megasquirting my 5.3L in readiness for the 6.7L swap. there is a LOT of work required to get the MS installed and working.

Things that you will need to consider.

Crank trigger you will need a 36-1 reluctor on the crank with VR senaor + wiring
You can retain the distributor or upgrade to Ford or GM coil packs.MS2 can have upto 6 ignition outputs, but these need to be configured in the Hardware so if you buy a new MS make sure it is configured for what you need.
The MS will run the injectors directly so no need for the injector resistor pack.

My MS2 is mounted in a Jaguar ECU case so it will plug directly into the OEM harness in the boot. I will be re-configuring the engine wiring as I have 12 Denso injectors off an X Type and the ignition wiring will use one set of the Lucas injector wires from the boot to the engine bay. My car already has a VR sensor and I have had a new 36-1 reluctor made to bolt straight up to the crank,in place of the Marelli 3 tooth wheel.

So if you are looking for an easy fix Megasquirt is not the way to go. If you want to upgrade and have the time to spend planning, installing then tuning by all means go for it.

I looked into megasquirt a few years ago and was sold on the ability to tune as I wanted. what I didn’t expect was the endless hours and additional parts and gave up. parts still on my shelf and not sure how much I want to invest to go from a good (and working) ignition to a better, if tuned correctly, ignition.

The new ignition from pertonics is very easy to install and costs $145.00 US.It is very similar to the Crane unit, with a new sensor a new wheel, How much would a cei ignition cost? Would I have to replace he whole distributor?

At least two or three different ways to do it. If you can find parts in a
junkyard, swapping out the distributor is quick and easy. If you have a D
Jetronic EFI, I guess you’ve gotta mount a trigger board and use a rotor with
a magnet in the tail – but the screw holes are there to mount the trigger
board. I have heard, though, that the popularity of that upgrade – as well as
Marelli owners ALSO changing to the CEI to avoid cat fires – has pushed the
cost of CEI distributors up.

Another way involves a kit that somebody offers that is designed to fit the
CEI into an Opus car and leave it LOOKING like an Opus ignition for those to
whom original underhood appearance is important. They actually put the
CEI ignition amp into the Opus finned amp case. I dunno what they do in the
distributor, but I suspect it remains original because it also triggers the D
Jetronic EFI with a magnet in the rotor and a trigger board.

– Kirbert