Ignition switch dilemma

That car is in Seattle, but eliminating the locking unit is a big improvement.
I will look and see what I have…
gtjoey1314

1 Like

You might want to check with Chuck at Monocoque Metal. He may be able to provide it. Or Martin Robey.

Bob,

Here are the pictures I referenced in my post. It installs by slipping over the steering column. I was never able to find a part number for it nor did I ever find a parts diagram that showed it.
As you said truly a mystery part…

Chet
tn_1~1458096928 tn_2~1458096928 tn_5~1458096928 tn_4~1458096928 tn_3~1458096928

1 Like

Is that a candidate for 3D printing?

Here’s two higher resolution pictures that I found…

Two+ years ago my friend said no because of all of the complex curves and the 2D nature of the pictures. But two years in tech is like 14+ years so who knows?

Certainly worth a try… :grinning:

Chet

1 Like

Given that I am now also in the middle of de-constructing my steering column (see my other post), I wonder where and how this would fit given the turn signal, its shroud, and telescoping wheel section.

AFAIK, there are only three variations: early 1.5/2 cars with AC had the “extension” on the end of the evaporator case. Early 1.5/2 cars w/o AC had the column bracket, which fit the top of the column, just under the turn signal enclosure. And then by1970, all US cars had the steering column lock, which is a more complicated affair…

The pn’s you’re looking for in this case:

C29129 RHD Bracket mounting ignition and directional switches
C29128 LHD Bracket mounting ignition and directional switches

I doubt the part number is going to help much. If it’s not been repro’d, then it’s not going to be available. The part can be printed, but first you’d have to find a sample and have it precision scanned.

1 Like

@Michael_Frank Thank you for the part number. All my usual sources didn’t even recognize the part number as it doesn’t appear to currently being produced…UGH

Bob call Dave Welsh at Welsh in Ohio
Tell I told you to call he has tons of parts cars around
I liked the series 1 1/2 from a 2plus 2 because it was by itself and didn’t connect to the ac unit
Dave should have it though
Johnny Farrell always has this stuff around
Gtjoey1314

1 Like

I will do that, thanks for the lead.

“Johnny Farrell” sold his business, and it’s moved to the UK:

https://www.etypeparts.com/about-us

While the search continues for a “proper” bracket, I decided to clean up the one I had. Here are the before and after pics.

I used my Dremel to shorten it on the left hand side by 1/4 inch and then I used a product called Plast-Aid to mold plastic into the two smaller drilled holes and the larger one that had been used for a horn button. After the plastic dried (about ten minutes) I sanded it flush (that took multiple tries to get it perfect). My plan now is to mount the bolt that will hold it to a bracket on the steering wheel with the Plast-Aid on the back of this piece, that way there is no bolt head showing through.

It is still my hope that I can find the legit way to mount the ignition switch on a Type 2 without the steering wheel lock assembly.

Bob

1 Like

Remove the lock assembly barrel with that big flat head screw…I put a rubber grommet in that hole
Then find the bracket and use the a STANDARD switch.
good luck
gtjoey1314

I sent a note to Dave Welsh on Friday about finding the correct switch fitting, haven’t heard back just yet. But I’m confused, what is a “Standard” switch. The ignition key barrel goes into the hole in the bracket. While likely not stock, it was that bracket that was fixed to the steering column with both the ignition key and a button for the horn that was hacked into the turn signal wiring harness, likely because the turn signal horn switch stopped working. I am replacing the turn signal assembly and looking for a more stock looking ignition key bracket (car is a non-steering lock model).

Yeah
You have an abortion on that set up
A standard switch and key can be had anywhere including the hardware store
It goes in the whole and has a period looking knurl lock to it
That eliminates what you have
Pm me your phone number
Taking grandma to church
I’ll wLk you though it okay?

1 Like

Looks like Bob has the ignition switch that does not lock the steering column, just a simple switch (like my S2). Seems like the right switch for what he has planned. May look good enough when done that he abandons his search for the white whale piece.

1 Like

Agreed, I have not pictured the rather standard looking ignition key switch which would inserted in the only hole in the switch plate. This plate was squeezed between the column, which it was attached to, and the aftermarket AC and was causing the steering column to be tilted to the left. To straighten the steering column, I had to remove this piece and trim it so that there is room between a straight steering wheel and the AC controls.

I agree that this panel is a hacked up kludge, but until I find the white whale that everyone has talked about, I have no choice but to use it to hold the ignition key switch. This early Series 2 does not have the steering lock, but it sounds like it should have the mystery bracket that @NaplesGuy depicted.

I don’t think it will be that bad. You’ve done a nice job of filling and refacing. If it fits between the column and the A/C, you can move on to more important problems, like taking a drive.

1 Like

This bracket was used throughout the '68 and '69 production for non A/C cars. It was eliminated when the steering lock was introduced. If you will look at the two pictures above with a switch you will notice that one has a setscrew securing it from the top and the other doesn’t. They are shaped a little differently also. The one without the setscrew was used on the early steering columns that did not have the barrel added to accommodate a column lock. The other was for later columns that had the barrel for column locks. It was secured to the column with the setscrew.

There were at least two column locks fitted after that - Waso and Britax. Both were secured by a single shear bolt. The shear bolt secured the Britax from the bottom and I believe the Waso was secured from the back. The plastic cover listed by SNG was fitted to the Waso switch (decoration only) and was held on by the setscrew. The Britax had a cover fitted that contained a switch for detecting key insertion. The Waso lock had the detector built into it.

Richard Liggitt

1 Like

I just received the SNG part as a test on my part to see how heavy-duty it looks…the answer is not very. While I like the look, I don’t think it would hold up very long by itself. Just to be clear my 69 does not have the steering wheel lock setup.

If I could find the part that takes the set screw on the top, I think I’d be a happy camper, but from what I’ve heard/read and asked Mr Google about, it is truly a unicorn, maybe even an albino unicorn.

If anyone has any leads on this part, I’d really appreciate the heads up!