Ignition switch swap

aftermarket replacement for electrical part of ignition switch column mount 71 e-type

Welcome Wayne,
Not sure weather this is a statement or a question but if your asking about the availability of the ignition switch they are available from the usuals, SNG, Xk’s Unlimited , Terry’s just to name a few.
Cheers,
LLynn

Hi Wayne, I am in the throws of rebuilding a 1970 S2 OTS which had been totally dismantled by its PO. The original ignition switch was no good because it was pretty burned up from too high currents and dirty contacts. I replaced it with an ignition switch from a 1974 XJ 12 car.I would expect that the switch from any XJ car of that era would do the job for you!!

LLynn, my car has the lock cyl. and keys working, original switch missing and elcheapo lock and switch substituted, I was told by a guy at Welsh that a v12 switch could be used for around 400$, I declined. when I removed the steering lock assy. I could see that a non jag switch could possibly be modified to work, just wondered if anyone had done this, have not done a search at the autoparts stores yet. saw on this site a lucas switch that works but no price-- thanks for your reply, read your comments all the time on BAT, thanks, wayne

hey John, thanks for your reply!!, Wayne

Yes this is a pest. AFAIK the switch itself isn’t available, and there isn’t a good substitute.

On a current S2 resto in out shop we ended up removing the steering lock completely and substituting a S1 switch on a mounting plate. Not original but the best we can currently do.

I believe SNG has a S3 switch that can be adapted.

Denis D