Ignition timing on XK120 FHC 669085

Thanks John, mine will be if I get it, engine number W9771-8 so Very close to yours. Howerver it’s got a replacement head LC6835-8, I have yet to find out if that was factory or from another car ?? What was the event at Brooklands, maybe I’ll see you there next time.
Mike
By the way there’s another coming up at https://themarket.co.uk/

Hello Mike, the meeting at Brooklands was the Classic Breakfast. They do this about three or four times a year. There are other meetings and events. The largest for classic cars is often the New Year’s Day, if you can get up in time after the previous nights celebration!!! I went this year, it is very crowded and you have to get there very early to avoid large queues.

My engine is not the one on the data plate, as it was changed many years ago. It is now a 140 block with a G number. Also with bigger 2”HD8’s, Rob Beere Cam’s,

That would be from a 3.8 Litre Mark 2.

Thanks John, I’m very near Brooklanks so I’ll bring the car, hopefully, to the next breakfast.

Thanks Rob, it’s on the original 120 block, now I’ll have to investigate the differences in the valves and cams etc, but apparently, the car’s running well so I doubt I will take it apart.

Thanks again Rob, is there a way of finding a date for LC6835-8

I looked on www.saloondata.com and the 3.8 Mk2 cars with LC engines in the 6000-7000 range are all from 1963.
There are also stamped letters/numbers at the rear of the valley, and there is an ongoing effort here to learn what those mean, and to try to tie them to some sort of dates.

1 Like

Thought Engine Number was familiar…………

My old 3.8 M/OD Mark 2 had Engine Number LC7149-8 and it was in Car No. 231036DN that left factory 3 July 1963.

Car/Chassis Numbers were in manufactured in date order, whereas engines fitted were more in batches, so not necessarily in strict number order, but in all probability LC6835-8 was made one/two months earlier, so say May/June 1963, and then fitted to a Mark 2 that was built probably in June 1963. So close enough.

Roger

Roger Payne

CANBERRA

Australia

rogerpayne@bigblue.net.au