1988 Jaguar XJS V12.
While driving to work today, idling at a traffic light, suddenly the Ignition Warning Light came on (Looks like lightning bolt). At the same time, I saw the Volt gauge fall from 14 to 12.
The rest of the drive, the Volt gauge remained at 14V, but the Ignition light remained on, very dim at idle, and a bit brighter when accelerating.
I did have the headlights on, which I usually never do. After switching them off, the warning light did not go away.
I’ve read archives, and there seems to be confusion as to battery light vs lightning bolt light. The consensus (and my manual agrees) is that the battery light is Overcharge, and the lightning bolt is Alternator? So does this simply mean my alternator is not putting out enough juice?
What to check? Belt is newish and tight. My Alternator is original Lucas manufactured in 1987. Maybe it’s time?