I'm Back (and a question about heat shields)

There’s just a little bit of a story so please bear with me. I used to follow Jag-Lovers avidly. Last year I retired from my 40+ year career in nuclear power. I immediately headed to my garage and began a big makeover of my 1967 2+2. Guess what? The days were longer but went by much quicker. And my casual web surfing (you know, the minimized box on your work computer that’s hard to notice and you can close quickly) dropped to a minimum. But as things would have it, they called me back to work for a short term job and just like that, I’m Back! Even worse, I started to read the thread about anti-seize on the splines and I went “Hey, it’s the same old crowd as when I left! And Peter Crespin has moved back to England”. Only when I got to the end did I see that I was reading a 10 year old thread. Anyway, I’m totally re-doing my 2+2. I keep the “build thread” over at my website www.newhillgarage.com. The most current articles are listed on the home page.

As to my question. I have the lower heat shield, the one that goes roughly between the servo operated brake slave cylinder and the engine. The only way I can see that it fits is with the sheet metal side facing the engine and the insulative material facing outward. This allows the little U shaped cutout to go around the steering shaft as it traverses inside the engine frame. Having the sheet metal side inward is not what I remember but I can’t see anyway it would fit with the metal side out. And it is looking like the upper heat shield, next to the 3 brake fluid bottles, is going to fit best with the sheet metal side facing outward. Any opinions on whether I have them oriented correctly?

1 Like

I just replaced both upper and lower pieces and that’s the orientation on my 68 FHC…

That picture helps. Thanks!

… can you still use a Curta? I can… :slight_smile:

Harvey
Did you fashion that polished shield over your exhaust manifold? I have never seen one like that and I like how it looks and think it would help keep heat off the bonnet.

Len

Len, you’re asking the wrong guy. That picture is of Bob’s car. But I have the same question.

…and it looks like both of you could benefit by catching up with this recent thread…

-David

1 Like