I'm new to the New XK

I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Mike Eck and I have been a contributor to Jag-Lovers starting when it was one list. I have an XK120, a MK2 and an E-Type, but I’ve never owned anything that was manufactured in the current century. The older cars are easy to fix by anyone who understands engines and electricity, but problems aren’t as straight-forward when you throw computers and sensors into the mix.

My wife and I just got back from the British Invasion car show in Vermont where an XK8 caught her eye. We’re considering a 2005 convertible with 100K miles, but I have no experience with these new cars. Are there any red flags that I should be aware of before purchasing?

1 Like

With the 05 you don’t have the problem with the earlier 4.0 engine and the plastic parts. The early AJ8 engine had a plastic thermostat housing, a plastic water pump impeller and (most seriously) plastic timing chain tensioner guides, which all had to be replaced.

Hi Mike,

By 2005 most of the bugs were sorted and the 4.2 litre engine has many improvements over the original 4.0litre which, in itself, in AJ26 or AJ27 form is a very sweet engine provided that the items that Grahame mentioned are dealt with.

In the UK, corrosion is the big problem. So, inspect floor pans, areas around the suspension mountings front and rear, sills, wheel arches etc. Speaking of suspension, the front seems to be prone to the upper and lower fulcrum bushes seizing on their respective bolts. Check for any creaks or stiffness in the suspension.

Likewise, operate the convertible top. It should complete and open or a close cycle in about 20 to 25 seconds with the engine running. Also, look for any drips of hydraulic fluid around the left hand side of the header close to the hydraulic latch.

Transmissions are allegedly sealed for life but all the advice is to get the fluid and filter changed every 50k miles.

I bought my XK8 as a project but I absolutely love driving it. I also have a 4.0litre S Type which I wouldn’t change for anything more modern. Both came from the same designer but you can observe difference in the way they are built, coming from different factories. The XK8 shows its XJS heritage although it shares its electronics architecture with XJ6 and I think you in particular, will find that side of the vehicle very interesting.

I’m sure you will enjoy owning an XK8 and if you can find a rust free one its value is likely to rise rather than fall.

Eric
Shropshire, UK

Hi Mike; My '99 XK8 convt. had 78,000 when I bought it I had the trans fluid and filter done. I drove the car for about two weeks and then I replaced the rear end fluid myself. Good thing I did. The fluid stunk bad and it was jet black. It was so bad I drove the car about 200mi and replaced the fluid again. It made a noticeable difference in the way the trans shifted. Was much smoother from gear to gear. I plan on changing both every 50,000.
I hope this helped
Mitch

I agree with everything Eric said above. I bought my XK8 because it spent most of it’s life before in New Mexico and Florida.