I'm too big for my XK 120 and tired of politics

Interesting concept, though I’m unable to figure out how it works. The write up says the conversion “is so good there are no good pictures of it”. The power unit is hidden under the dash and is said to require no cutting or welding, but the steering column for the XK120 is a solid pipe with an inner shaft so how is the inner shaft accessed?

I’ve only driven two of them, and only had a cursory glance at one installation.

The column does get modified (or replaced outright), but the body and steering box/rack need no modification.

They’re a bit weird if your charging system isn’t up to the additional load, but otherwise… quite nice.

Pics: http://www.ezpowersteering.nl/photos/BDFA7A0F7F5828AC790508AD48DAE242FEDC28448AC834A1B255541CB47C9FB1.pdf

http://mk1-performance-conversions.co.uk/les_leston.htm

Out of curiosity only, any idea what the kit goes for?

Prices apparently vary from model to model, but around 2700 USD, judging by http://www.ebay.de/itm/De-Lorean-Power-Steering-Kit-/252526553504

It’s a lot of money but because you’re putting the assist in the column, there’s no messing about with brackets etc to get the Ackermann angle, ARB clearance right (big headache on the saloons if you change from the original steering box to a R&P setup.

1 Like

Don’t chop…don’t cut out metal, Knight listed fixes for you. destroying a rare classic is beyond politics. Buy some car you fit in. Buy a xk replica and modify it as you wish. Ownership of history, art, auto design does not confer a right to alter it. Paint over a Picasso or Rembrandt is OK if you own it? Find petroglyphs on your land and bulldoze em?

Uh…a mass-produced CAR isn’t an equivalent. Also…it is HIS property.

2 Likes

plenty of Picasso’s…seems everyone has one or two these days…: it is his property…temporarily. I’d say to each his own, or do what you want…but there IS a LIMITED number of these cars…fewer as time passes, and many books about them, many pleased to see them. Values seem to indicate they are “collectible”.

I knew Picasso. Picasso was a friend of mine. You sir are no Picasso!

1 Like

Nope: I draw people with their eyes on both sides of their noses…:wink:

1 Like

All things are temporary, and devotion to man made objects to the extent they are perceived as more important than ourselves (or our life’s ambitions) borders on idolatry. Taken to extremes our classic jaguars would be driven only on and off of enclosed trailers to be cleaned of every spec of dust and shown to appreciative crowds then put under cover in a secure climate controlled space until the next time. Nothing wrong with that if it’s how one derives pleasure from his car, but it would be a sorry state of affairs if we all did it.

It is fair to say that not all XKs were created equally. Some left the factory with wonky panel gaps or marginal mechanicals or trimming that was slightly “off”. There is a place for pristine original examples of the artform (the MoMA E-type for example, though it actually misses the mark). There is also a place for customised examples, the very best of which are even more collectable and more valuable than concours correct restorations - Eagle speedsters one example that comes to mind. Some of the biggest draws at auto auctions are so-called resto-mods, which retain the essence of the original design but incorporate changes that clean up the aesthetic and/or improve handling and overall performance.

So, I have no problem with someone who chooses to modify his car.

But, please, do it well. If you’re going to change something it should be an improvement over what you started with.

1 Like

customja%20cpe

Somewhat similar to the nose job my ‘rent’s Silverstone (LT-2) received after being wrecked in Reno.

That pic is in the archives, somewhere.

Hah! Almost bought that car several months ago. It was up near Dallas. I believe it might have been in California a few mnonths previous to Dallas (was on EBay). Luckily, the seller did not accept my $15K offer, what with the problems we are uncovering with our present kinda-original XK140 FHC.

i was in my xk…in line entering a car show…big muscle car in front of me…the driver in front suddenly backed up without looking at all…not accidentally…he wanted to make a sharper forward turn to the side…so backed: …everyone yelled…he stopped about one cat whisker from my bumpers/car front. Had to change my pants. anyway…so those ok with resto mods must be ok with this…someone owns it , likes it…and eventually the car will all rust away anyway.

1 Like

the car looks like it has a fiberglass tilt forward nose section?

Oh, yer right! didn’t notice that!

I will have to do some jiggery pockery with a 140 I am buying . I am 6’4" . Have you starated with shoes ? I had trouble with a Lotus I had and swapping to a pair of light weight Ted Bakers made it possible .

Ref Dave Gardiner (22nd Jan above),

Dave Gardiner is the absolute nuts.

He was in 1990 when he was my bodywork tutor at the Colchester Institute when he used to teach me bodywork and panel forming as part of my 2 year full time City and Guilds in Motor Vehicle Restoration.

I did more work in to get that qualification than to get a degree. It was very tough.

As part of the course we toured around restoration workshops such as Rod Jolleys near Bournmouth and Bart Holland in Hollan. We also were invited to major Museums such as Alfa Romeo in Turin, the Collection Schlumpf Bugatti Museum in Mulhouse and other places. All part of our school work.

What an amazing course!

The first time I met Dave was in the body shop at College. My friend Alex had bought a US import E type and a dock yard forklift truck tine had gone straight through the bonnet above the grill into the engine bay making a large hole.

With the bonnet off the car, Dave calmly formed the metal back into shape using a hammer and dolley, then gas welded it together perfectly, and spent 20 minutes making it look like it never happened!

At the time we were all into the American Hot Rod scene, flat head V8s- Model T’s A’s AND B, roadsters etc. I am sure Dave still is. I still have my A2 flying jacket.

His metal work is so good, he makes it look too easy.

Really he should be in the jewelry trade, not the motor trade!

That’s what differentiates bodywork hacks like me from the true artisans. You’d have to say instead

“and spent four hours making it almost look like it sort of never happened!”