Improvised radiator bleed pipe replacement

Althow my original radiator bleed pipe looked good from outside it was all rusted and blocked from the inside. New bleed pipe is no longe available new so it was time for some improvisation :slight_smile:
Most important part of this bleed system is venturi which creates suction effect for propper bleeding. I couldn’t find a ready made venturi, so decided to make one:

I went to a local hydraulic equipment shop and bought few fittings that where perfect for my project

I cut small tube to propper length for venturi effect, then inserted it into 3-way connector and soldered the small tube inside the 3-way fitting.

Then I used some clear teflon tubing to connect everything.
Due to clear tubing I should always be able to see if there is enough coolant in the system without opening the caps.

4 Likes

Nice ! Well done John-John, Ingenuity at its finest

Good job, nice to see you understand the need for this tube as so many machines are running around with clogged bleed tubes. I have used new copper tubing and salvaged the venturi tubes and silver-soldered the older steel units. You might also consider installing a tee at the A bank side of the heater valve for bleeding at the firewall. Can’t get enough aire out of these systems, best, JW

Thanks :wink: I was also thinking about re-soldering copper tubes instead of steel ones, but then I decided that clear tubing will give me an advantage of seeing if it really works and if my coolant level is ok :wink:

1 Like

Tee, clear site tube and a valve at the firewall?

Id love to make my own one of these, what are the specs for the tee the little jet and tubes? any website or info on that?

Hi,
I bought everything I needed in local hydraulic equipment shop. Teflon tube is 8mm ID. I made a venturi from regular T connection by soldering small tube inside.

1 Like

is the tee in photo no5 the one with the venturi in it, is the tee in photo no6, just a tee
thanks

No5 (next to radiator banjo bolt) is just a Tee.
No6 (on the other side next to expansion tank) is the one with venturi

Excellent I’m going to try and build my own one. while hunting around I found this, its neat. but pricey.

http://www.radiumauto.com/Venturi-Jet-Pump-Kit-P760.aspx

thanks
so which side is the venturi on, the left or the right

Left side (drivers side on us cars, passenger side on uk car)

I am missing something here…mine is a 1988…on the right side of the radiator there is a hose that goes to the spigot on the filler pipe just below the cap…approximately 7/16 id hose then that same hose goes to a metal pipe and is about 5/16 id there…now to put a clear hose on that one could a hose be put inside a hose to reduce the size and clamp it…your project looks like it is only on the left side …is that correct ???

He removed the OEM piping and banjo bolt on the right side replaced with a, one outlet banjo into a tee, (one from the fill spigot, and the other over to the jet valve on the left side that goes into, the WP outlet then to the black tank.

I thinks that’s correct?

or get a reducer 8mm - 6mm straight coupling to fit in the line

You’re almost correct except that Jet is connected not to WP outlet but to the thermostat housing as per original setup

I made one, kinda in the testing phases but it looks like it works.

2 Likes

That’s really cool! You can see the air bubbles!

1 Like

I guess that’s how the system works, I didn’t realize you would see so much air or bubbles?
Who woulda thunk it?
That’s a really neat modification to see what’s going on though.
Are you going to sell this as a kit Jonas? (John-John)?