In search for a replacement distributor drive gear

Hi,

I posted this already in the “e type” category but didn’t get an answer. Since my question is V12 related this category might be the better place (I hope). I currently restore a '72 e type. Since winter temperatures don’t allow me to work on the body restoration now I have turned to items that I can handle in my heated basement. I started looking into the ignition and found that the distributor drive gear is damaged to a point that I can’t re-install it as is. The rest of the ignition I have bench tested and it is working OK.

So now I’m looking for a replacement drive gear for the Lucas 36DE12 distributor. I have (without success) tried some of the usual parts vendors as well as the distributor doctor.

Does anyone know where I might get the gear? Is there any alternative (beside buying another distributor)?

Thank you, Manfred

Have you tried Coventry West?

why do you think the dist. gear is damaged BEYOND use!

coupe pix would help?

Of note: IIRC, the early distributor shaft gears were bronze, while later ones
were steel. I think the steel and bronze gears are interchangeable. I
think the steel ones are installed by inserting a tapered steel pin through a
hole in the shaft and then applying a bit of welding to make sure it stays put.
I dunno anything about welding bronze or what retention method is used for
the bronze gears.

– Kirbert

most usa engines had a steel spring drift pin.

Hi,

thank you all for your replies. I was able to locate a used gear at a UK dismantler.
THe gear is made from bronze and was attached with a solid steel pin that was
“mushroomed” at both ends.

• Manfred

Manfred,

All the 36DE12 distributors I have the drive gear is installed with a brass or bronze inference fit pin. Both ends were then squeeze pressed to mushroom the pin ends, keeping it in place. If you have the distributor out I’d recommend going one step further and replacing the internal shaft seal. That seal, which if original, is now hard as a rock and totally ineffective. It keeps crankcase vapors out of the distributor. Those vapors have been known to literally blow the dizzy cap off. Also, make sure the fly weights move freely. Happy Motoring, :wink:

Dick

'74 OTS
'99 XJR
1947 Stinson 108-1 “Voyager”
“Growing old is Mandatory… Growing UP is OPTIONAL”

Dick,

thanks for your tips. As I said, my bronze gear had a steel pin. I have completely disassembled the distributor, bead blasted it and the lower half is now at a machine shop to convert it to accept a more common shaft seal. I will assemble it with a new bearing and then it will be like new again.

• Manfred

If you have
the distributor out I’d recommend going one step further and replacing
the internal shaft seal. That seal, which if original, is now hard as
a rock and totally ineffective.

Yeah, good tip. IIRC, the OEM distributor shaft seal is an odd critter, but it’s
a fairly simple matter to replace it with a more typical style seal. Might
require some minor machining on the distributor body or some such.

– Kirbert

Manfred,
Been there, done that. You might want to read my write-up on the subject. See Ed’s Interests|Jaguar at www.efsowell.us

1 Like