In the process of buying an XK120 FHC

Hi Rob…i thought the early “non eared” spinners supplied to German cars were as in this photo… quite different to the much later 3 ear federal spinner…Steve

Ah, the stuff I learn on here, daily!

And me as well, I’ve never seen that type before. Thanks Steve.
So that’s what the SB meant by shorter lugs. Looks like it got beat up by the removal tool.
So Luis has the Federal type, which date from what, about 1968? The E-Type Forum would know.

2 Likes

Dear List,

Here some more pictures, wheels are 16/600

I will first thing get rid of that leaper cat and put it on my desk.

For whatever reason, Limora indeed stocks exactly my hub spinners, so there may be something German in them???

Under body as bought

1 Like

PS: at 100Km/h the car is doing 2500 rpm in 4th gear. Am I right to guess I have the 3.07 end-drive?

with 15inch wheels very possibly

Good to see some more pics, Lluis. If the wheels are 16" x 600 I would hazard a guess that someone has fitted aftermarket ones at some point. If I remember correctly, 120s were only ever fitted with 5" wire wheels, or disc wheels of 5" or 5½" diameter. Your 6" wheels will have a lot more spokes and be therefore stronger. The steering would also be a bit heavier when manoeuvering.

Dear all,

You got it right, but not me: 15", on Excesior 5.5/15".

I have no clue whether the tires are any good, but they are brand new.

Indeed, that gives then, for 657mm diameter, a correct 2500 rpm at 100 Km/h, that is a 3.07:1 final ratio.

Best,

Ll.

Check the date code on the side of the tires: it’s a kind of an oval imprint. If they are more than six or seven years old, ditch them, and get new tires.

1 Like

Lluis,
the Michelin X 185 x 16 (which is a suitable replacement for the original crossply tyre) has a 707mm diameter, the Pirelli Stella Bianca 6.00 x 16, (which is a crossply) has a diameter of 719mm. Your final drive gear is most likely to be a Salisbury of 3.77, 3.54, or less likely, a 3.31. I don’t have the figures for the 3.54, but the 3.77 on original tyre size of 600 x 16 did about 2800rpm at 60mph and with the 3.31 it did about 2450rpm at 60mph. These figures are from the Service Manual. Your present tyres have a smaller diameter than the original fitment, so would be lower-geared, and therefore the engine would be revving higher for a corresponding speed. I don’t know where you get the 3.07 figure from?
Chris

The rear axle will usually have a metal tag on one of the rear cover bolts with two numbers impressed into it, such as 47/11 or 51/14 or 39/11 indicating the ratio.
rear axle 008

Red trim with red wheels - very traditional for a British car, and very nice, in my opinion - my 140 is Mist Grey (yes, wrong, but only just) with Navy Blue leather and carpets, and Navy Blue wheels.
I do prefer the look of 16" though, which is how God designed it… just please don’t fit the ubiquitous chrome wheels!

Sorry, late to this thread - Paul, that E-type is absolutely, utterly gorgeous. Pure 1969, takes me right back to my teenage custom car passion along with the flared trousers and tight cheesecloth shirts. That is, without a doubt in my mind, the prettiest E-type I have ever seen.

1 Like

Nonononon, no chrome wheels.

I leave them red, my wife let me choose between red and red, so I chose red. I will paint the drums black though.

1 Like

Excellent choice.

IMO, you can’t beat a good wheel/trim combo…

A friend here in the UK has a lovely 120FHC in OEW, with Oxblood trim and maroon wheels, no bumpers and a leather bonnet strap. Wish I had a photo, it looks fabulous… although even at 5’8" I can’t fit in it!

1 Like

It looked good, at 30 feet and 55 mpg…:grinning:

BIG hat tip to my fotog co-driver, David Fey.

Some update after roughly one month of ownership and driving (1000 Km).

We cannot be more please with our purchase. The whole family, any occasion is a good excuse to use it.

Nothing in the car has disappointed me so far, no rust, no hidden foibles so far.

Here is a list of the things made, which perhaps any prospective buyer may, or may not, find interesting.

• Due to lack of knowledge by the previous owner:
  • Pitman arm and steering worm completely dry: gradual lubrication (thin oil, thick oil) brough them back to life
  • Play in steering not set (laugh not, it will make the car feel horrible)
  • Brake throw back (pedal adjustment screw) too much backwards, made the pedal feel dead. Purging the brakes and adjusting the throw back transformed the car, together with the steering.
  • Coolant hoses, air hoses and all sorts of rubber changed.
  • New aluminium radiator (intending to drive to Spain this summer)
  • 123 ignition (not sure why I did it, as contact system worked well, but not that expensive and has the advantage of easy adjustment, will report separately on before-after)
  • Carburettor overhaul (the big cork seals at the bottom were leaking, replaced with Bio-ethanol compatible)
  • Restored the heating (it literally roasts now)
  • Several tweaks (adjustment of glovebox lid, was more difficult than expected), oils, door rubbers, etc…

Total expenditure ca. 3000 Euro post purchase, car was bought at 70k€, which -I understand it’s an expensive toy- makes me really happy with the investment.

Voilà voilà.

Will post pictures next time a drive it, when the weather is kind.

Best,

Ll.

2 Likes

One Post Scriptum:

Perhaps useful for anyone getting into these cars and reading these posts, for the little that my experience now is worth:

I was already looking at disc brake conversions and power steering, not too mention 5-speeds even before buying the car. The test drive, in my first reaction, confirmed my intentions, or so I thought.

With the help of this list, and at virtually no cost, I managed to adjust the steering and brakes, which transformed the way the car drives.

The steering is simply exquisite, and the brakes as powerful and easy to modulate, in any circumstance where fade is not an issue (may be different on a mountain road).

As for the five speeds, the torque of the engine is such, that I will simply put a longer final drive to adapt the car to modern highway driving.

So, for anyone in doubt, really in original form, the car needs little to no modifications.

Best,

Ll.

5 Likes