In trial fitting the headliner I needed extra hands, so I got 18 of them

Hi all
I thought I’d share this with you. Getting ready to install the headliner and I wanted to do a trial fitting. Working by myself is many times a challenge. So I tried these guys and it seemed to work well.

1 Like

7 Likes

Not to be alarmist, but are you certain those aren’t going to leave behind marks when you remove them? If it’s compressing it super hard, the glue might harden and leave depressions behind. Fingers crossed!

Erica;
I would think he could use the magnets to hold the unglued portion, glue a portion of the headliner fabric and the roof, then put the two together. remove some or all the magnets and proceed with the rest of the glue project. That way the magnets are not used on the adhesive backed material therefore no marks.
I didn’t have the wory as my car is a 2+2 and I used the fiber board.
My opinion only.

Regards, Joel.

2 Likes

Thanks but I think I’m ok. The headliner is a dense foam, and is not compressing. Which even allows me to slide them around as needed. In the photos, what looks like possibly depressions in the foam are actually reflections of light off the base.

Bob,

How did this method work out for you? I’m considering the same approach.

Thanks
Rick OBrien
65 FHC in FL

Interesting approach.
I note that these magnets are “100 lbs” strong.
That would be a lot and beyond necessary, with the risk to have some markings of the foam.

I see that you can purchase similar magnets with a strength of only 30 lbs, which would seem enough to me as there would be many of those to support the headliner.

Actually the force of the magnet decreases significantly with distance to steel, so here would decrease if the foam/headliner is thick enough.
Did you have the feeling of a 100 lbs force or substantially less, justifying the choice of the 100 lbs ones?

Btw, avoid letting these magnets close to your credit cards or any devices with magnetised tapes…

I recently removed the rare earth magnets from some hard drives following you tube instructions, they are very slim, light & strong and would be perfect for this application

In the past I just used small hatpins

another tip. mark the substrate, and the back of the lining (with light chalk) with a line front to back and across

By doing this I can align and glue up a complex headlining job on my own

That’s the way I did mine and it worked well.

Mark longitudinal and lateral lines on the inside roof and the headliner piece, brush premium contact cement to both he roof and the headliner, then offer up the headliner matching the centre intersection and spread it out from there.

Then trim the headliner all around, allowing enough material to be tucked in.

Then complete the job with 1/8" soft foam glued to the surround followed by the wool covering pieces (glued only at the lower) edges with the hemmed in rubber tube to secure it.