Indicator light diode

Troble with turn signal indicator light. The bulb is ok, but there is a diode between earth and socket and it’s broken. Where to find a new one, or is it neccessery to use it? Works well whitout !

emil,
Welcome to the list!
What year and model is your Jaguar?

Paul

Sorry! It’s aXJC 1977 4.2

Kari,
I believe the XJs2 flasher is the same as the XJs3. I went through the XJs3 flasher circuit extensively several years ago. Coventry got very clever with the circuit to detect bulb failures in various situations. The blocking diodes on the dash turn indicators are embedded in the harness (on the XJs3, probably the same). Getting to them should be the absolute last resort. It’s definitely worthwhile to be extra certain that the diodes have failed.

To review the circuit, the diodes do not go DIRECTLY from the dash indicator sockets to ground.
When the flasher is operated and the stalk is in the RH position, power goes to the RH external indicator lamp through the Green-White wire; it lights. Power is also applied to both dash indicators through the Light-Green wire. The RH dash indicator returns through the diode, the Green-Red wire, and the LH external indicator lamp to ground; it lights. The LH dash indicator returns through another diode to the Green-White wire (which has power applied); power on both sides causes the LH dash indicator to remain extinguished.
If you still suspect the diode, you want to verify operation between the Green-White-Red wires on the dash indicator sockets and the Green-White and Green-Red wires on either the stalk or external lamps respectively. If that fails, you are probably going to need to open the harness.

Good luck, Ron

Thanks for reply Ron!
need to start looking a suitable diode.

If you want properly working indicator lights, Kari; yes - as per Ron…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)
xj6 85 Sov Europe

A time ago, I got a pair for another purpose at Radio shack, IU am n ot sure if any exiat anymore !!!

Carl

I found a used one at a local Jaguar repair shop and it is already installed. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

I assume everything works as it should?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Yes Frank, it works fine!