Indicator lights in instruments

1974 Series 2 LWB 4.2 auto

This isn’t a train smash - but something that’s just annoying.

The external turn indicator lights work perfectly - both sides - back and front.

However, when the indicators are on - either left or right, BOTH lights in the speedo and rev counter blink at the same time - and there appears to be very dull amount of light when blinking. (Ie., both flashing like I had hazards on - although this model isn’t fitted with a hazard light functionality.)

Question - anyone experienced something similar? If this is a dashboard out kinda number, I may just live with it for the moment but, as I say, it’s kind of annoying.

Would appreciate any insight into this minor issue - many thanks.

It certainly is and I think that is the place to start. The hazard switch is at the side of the steering wheel shroud and it’s fragile.

Hello Dave!

My 1974 S2 does the same thing. Both green indicator lights on the dashboard flash at the same time regardless if I indicate turning left or right. Perhaps this is normal although I always considered this to be a bit weird. The left and right indicator lights on the outside of the car work as they should.

I can confirm that the hazard switch on my car is placed at the right side of the steering wheel shroud (LHD).

/Marc

The 74 should certainly have hazard warning switch installed, Dave - somewhere…?

On later models, at some stage, this fault is typical for failed blocking diodes - which could be accessed by removing the speedo and/or the tacho. In your case; you need to find the ‘missing’ hazard switch; all ‘series’ cars hat them - and non-functioning hazards may be a clue…?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)