Indicator Stalk Position

Even with the steering wheel pushed all the way in, I find the indicator stalk on the right hand side a bit far away from the steering wheel and is a bit a stretch to reach. Other people who have driven my car have indicated the same.

Is there a way that the stalk can be adjusted closer to the steering wheel - will the stalk bend without breaking it.

Thanks

Garry

May be, Gary - your choice…:slight_smile:

Never found it a problem - something unique on your car…?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

It is a bit of a stretch on mine also. Have to take hand off wheel to activate indicator. But I think thats standard and not a fault, I am guessing somebody has made a fix but I just live with it. I am guessing the actual stalk can be bent a bit but the risk factor is doing that without damaging the contacts and electrical stuff in the base.

In the day it was quite common to remove hands from wheel to indicate, I can recall an MG we ran with the indicator on boss of steering wheel - weird with hindsight.

Thanks for the comments - as I said everyone who has driven my car in my ownership has commented on this and occasionally it is obvious in You Tube vids that drivers have to reach for the stalk. So I believe it is a “design” feature. Would be bad news if you wanted the steering wheel pulled closer to the driver.

So has anyone actually adjusted the stalk closer to the steering wheel.

Thanks

Garry

Have just measured mine, and from front face of wheel rim to front face of indicator stalk is 105mm approx. I can operate with hand on wheel ok. Think wheel is well down on column, but refer below picture for relative position

Yes, I have, you must be very careful though, the tube is aluminium and if it kinks it will ruin your day.

IIRC, my uncle’s Austin A35 ( or A30 perhaps) had its indicator switch on the centre of the dashboard beneath the rearview mirror. Might’ve activated trafficators, too.

Hmmm sounds tempting but not reassuring :thinking:

Thanks

Likely the law of the land at the time, Garry - my fathers 38 BMW had the same; spring loaded, timed to switch off after ‘some’ seconds.

I remember the time when hand signals was the usual alternative…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)