Induction question plus one exclusive 2+2 question

So has anyone who is using the standard S1 air filter arrangement eve tried removing the filter element to see if it made a difference? I did a few days ago and I swear I felt the car had more get up and go! Now, it was cooler that day and maybe that made a difference??

Next, 2+2 weight distribution…can’t find it anywhere on the web but has anyone either had their car on a set of scales? Also, just the thought of the car being 9" longer means more steel on the rear half of the vehicle coupled with the IRS now being further back makes me wonder if all that has contributed to a more even weight distribution/a more central balance point.

Thought on the above anyone?

Les, per Car & Driver, the OTS and the FHC, S2 weight distribution is 49/51. Per Motor Trend, the 1966 2+2 is 50/50.
Tom

Hi,

Yes, and yes. But I don’t have the numbers for my ex S 1 2+2, and the air filter is needed for lots of reasons and if you get her up to 130+mph air flow is sufficient providing there is no blockage in the fuel filter.

I had my Ser 3 LWB V12 OTS weighed a couple of years ago on corner scales (a scale for each wheel) and I have the exact numbers (in kgs) also somewhere, but for my memory, with a full fuel tank, spare wheel and tools in the trunk and me sitting in the drivers seat (but no luggage nor passenger) it was 50.3% front axle and 49.7% rear axle. :sunglasses:

Cheers!

If you run without air filters, it will run leaner, and will have a bit more ooomph until it goes POP…

1 Like

Thanks for your input/thoughts folks…

The reason I asked about the air filter removal was mainly curiosity due to much chat over the years about Jaguar using the S1 filter arrangement for driver/passenger “comfort”…read quiet, plus among the same chatter statements about Jaguar knew the filter arrangement took up to 16hp away from the car. So, just curious…from my own experiences, yes it does seem a little quicker and I personally didn’t notice any induction noise, but then I do drive 99% of the time with the window(s) open.

As far as the weight distribution goes, your findings support my feelings, mostly down to the car seeming to be quite agile when snapping lane changes so I figured the distribution must be pretty close.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Yet another reason to own a 2+2, 50/50 (perfect) weight distribution! JS

2 Likes

Damn, my rocker switches and a larger clock has probably upset its perfect balance!! Aha, but, I did substitute the old and heavy distributor and coil for the lightweight EDIS system…once again in perfect balance…:slight_smile:

As soon as you get in the car, have a passenger, put something in the back seat or boot, fill up or use gasoline that 50/50 balance is just a fond memory anyway.

Well I figure the passenger is about at the midpoint so no problem there and the 50/50 was/is measured with a full tank, spare wheel and tools. But your point is well made in that ALL models of the E would fall foul of that same problem I think.

I never thought to look on my 2+2 but on a FHC, let’s assume the single jacking point is approximately at the point where 50% of the weight is in front of it and 50% is behind it. The jacking point is about even with the front edge of the seat cushion so most of my weight is on the rear half of the car when I’m seated in it.

Two jacking points on a 2+2, it’s a lot of weight to lift from one. But you can tell that all the length was added in the middle by comparing exhaust systems.

True and I almost posted earlier that measuring the distance between the front and rear jacking points could be assumed to be the mid point for vehicle weight but I don’t think that’s a valid assumption.

If it was running richer than optimal (note : I did not say “too rich”) before removing the air cleaner, and it now runs perceptibly better after removing the air filter, it confirms that there is scope to adjust your carbs leaner (note: not “lean”) to come closer to the most optimal air-fuel mixture for your engine.

Running richer than optimal loses power, increases fuel consumption, kills three bunnies and 5 trees, and increases the heat load of the car’s cooling system.

"Going pop " only happens when an engine runs way too lean.

Les, I reasoned that any intake restriction was a combo of the inlet snorkels and possibly the filter itself. Being retired I have lots of time, so I removed the round filter cannister, bent up some flat stock to hold two filters and preserving the plenum and intake tubes. The round filter “cap” seals the bottom. Enough air filtration for a D8 Caterpillar?
I noticed no difference using the seat of the pants dyno. Obviously my butt dyno has a 6% margin of error. Perhaps I need to add (UE/UP) richer needles?
Back to stock.

Interesting experiment! I would have been very disappointed if adding the 2nd filter resulted in perceptible improvement.

Perhaps on your car David, seeing as you have three carbs/inputs but my car has just two carbs and I’m guessing that the snorkels are about the same size as the intakes of those carbs. Interesting that Jaguar engineers didn’t feel the need to adjust the intake system for the two carbs and I guess it says something that they felt it was good enough to get the car to “150” mph on the triple setup.

Ok, I’m convinced, back to fitting the filter.

Couple of things:
The carbs were set correctly for smooth idle so no over-rich condition.

If the std setup provides plenty of virtually unrestricted airflow, as much as the engine can handle or needs, then logic suggests that the possibility of a lean condition due to removal of the filter mentioned, cannot exist…the engine can suck only so much air and apparently it does that with the filter on so there can be no measurable change with the filter off.

If you try using the std SWB exhaust downpipes on the 2+2, you see that those pipes are too short. Extending those pipes another several inches (not sure of the exact extra length but close to the 9") allows for doing away with the siamese pipes.

Part of the difference is there, the rest is in the muffler. Point being, stretched in the middle.

I did that to the 2+2. I used it as an opportunity to install a pair of woven flex pipes. IIRC they were about 7" long. The mufflers are longer on a 2+2., who knows why though.